this question

  • Nagy Endre
    Message 1 of 22 , Nov 18, 2011
      Hi everyone, maybe it's a little offtopic sorry, but can anyone explain why "this" inside the "o" object is refer to window ?
      Why it's not refer to the "o" object if we are inside there? I want to access from the returned object in function "f" the "o.p" property without using "o". Thanks!

      var p = 2,
          o  =  {
              p: "a",
              f: (function (m) {
                  return {
                      l: m.p
                  };
              }(this))
          };

      p = o.f.l;

      Endre

    • z_mikowski@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 22 , Nov 18, 2011
        Javascript does not provide block scope, only functional scope. Therefore the 'this' in your code takes the value as provided to the enclosing function. You could use the module pattern to get the results you are seeking, e.g.

        var o = function (){
        // private stuff
        return {
        p : "a",
        // rest of object here

        Nagy Endre <forewer2000@...> wrote:

        >Hi everyone, maybe it's a little offtopic sorry, but can anyone explain why "this" inside the "o" object is refer to window ?
        >Why it's not refer to the "o" object if we are inside there? I want to access from the returned object in function "f" the "o.p" property without using "o". Thanks!
        >
        >var p = 2,
        >    o  =  {
        >        p: "a",
        >        f: (function (m) {
        >            return {
        >                l: m.p
        >            };
        >        }(this))
        >    };
        >
        >p = o.f.l;
        >
        >Endre

      • Rob Richardson
        Message 3 of 22 , Nov 18, 2011
          Try this:

          var p = 2,
          o = {
          p: "a"
          };
          o.f = (function (m) {
          return {
          l: m.p
          };
          }(o));
          p = o.f.l;

          Or this:

          var p = 2,
          o = {
          p: "a"
          };
          o.prototype.f = function () {
          return {
          l: this.p
          p = o.f.l;

          Rob

          Message 4 of 22 , Nov 20, 2011
            I don't think this is about block scope or functional sope. This is
            probably because the function is executed when the script is being parsed,
            at which time the outer object is not fully established, so the the keyword
            'this' points to the window object.

            Another funny aspect of javascript.

            ---
            stauren (畅)
            blog : http://stauren.net
            email : stauren@...

            On Sat, Nov 19, 2011 at 12:19 AM, <z_mikowski@...> wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Javascript does not provide block scope, only functional scope. Therefore
            > the 'this' in your code takes the value as provided to the enclosing
            > function. You could use the module pattern to get the results you are
            > seeking, e.g.
            >
            > var o = function (){
            > // private stuff
            > return {
            > p : "a",
            > // rest of object here
            > };
            > };
            >

            > Nagy Endre <forewer2000@...> wrote:
            >

            > >Hi everyone, maybe it's a little offtopic sorry, but can anyone explain
            > why "this" inside the "o" object is refer to window ?
            > >Why it's not refer to the "o" object if we are inside there? I want to
            > access from the returned object in function "f" the "o.p" property without
            > using "o". Thanks!
            > >
            > >var p = 2,
            > > o = {
            > > p: "a",
            > > f: (function (m) {
            > > return {
            > > l: m.p
            > > };
            > > }(this))
            > > };
            > >
            > >p = o.f.l;
            > >
            > >Endre

          • Nagy Endre
            Message 5 of 22 , Nov 21, 2011
              Yes, i realized that in {a: this} the value of "a" is the "window" value, not what we expect, because at runtime probably the object is not created yet,
              so only a method that is called later could have the correct "this" value.

              I think it would be great if JSLINT could display an error in this situation like:
              var o = {
                  a : this;
              };

              Because i think is there a little confusion here what will be the value of "this".