Re: [jslint] Re: JSLint errors wiki?

  • Luke Page
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 28, 2011
      Visual studio often pretends there is whitespace to make editing easier and
      then inserts the whitespace when you type the first character.

      However like most other editors it does appear sometimes. I'm sure that
      there is either an option to trim at save or an extension that does it...
      On 28 Sep 2011 22:33, "paulcrowder1979" <paul@...> wrote:
      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jordan Harband <ljharb@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> Comments serve a purpose, trailing whitespace does not.
      >>
      >> If you avoid ASI by properly using semicolons, I doubt trailing
      whitespace will break your code, even with minification. However, it is
      still useless and unnecessary, and that should be regarded equally as
      repulsive as broken code.

      > This statement is ridiculous. I use a rather popular editor called Visual
      Studio (some of you may have heard of it) that preserves indentation on
      blank lines so that if you place the cursor there, anything you type will
      already be indented properly. As far as I know there's no way to change this
      behavior. Because my code is always minified before being put into
      production, this extra whitespace has absolutely no effect on the end
      product. I'm really starting to sour on JSLint because of the recent
      nonsense that's been added. It's a real shame because I've championed it for
      years.

    • paulcrowder1979
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Luke Page <luke.a.page@...> wrote:

        > Visual studio often pretends there is whitespace to make editing easier and
        > then inserts the whitespace when you type the first character.
        >
        > However like most other editors it does appear sometimes. I'm sure that
        > there is either an option to trim at save or an extension that does it...

        At my company we have hundreds of thousands of lines of JavaScript, all of which get validated at some point using JSLint. There's no way I'm going to fix up all those files as well as modify the settings and/or extensions on 100+ developer machines just so we can enforce a rule that has absolutely zero effect on the end result.