Re: [jslint] Re: JSLint errors wiki?

  • Erik Eckhardt
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 28, 2011
      Based on past experiences I am one of the most conservative developers there
      are. My desire to "do things right" and "cover all the eventualities" are
      often scoffed at--until systems start breaking and the "almost never
      happens" exception takes everything to a screeching halt.

      However, I have to say that not all risks are equal, and in the real world
      efficiency is right up there in value next to correctness or
      comprehensiveness. It doesn't matter if you're doing it right if it never
      gets built at all. And, spending a relatively high amount of effort on an
      extremely low risk item is extremely inefficient. Placing caution where it
      is not due actually has a formal word: paranoia.

      Sanity just doesn't care that in different contexts, white space can screw
      things up. In the context of most code, be it javascript. C++, C#, VBScript
      or whatever, extra whitespace is harmless.
      If we were to use the same logic in real life, based on the knowledge that
      SOME buttons launch nuclear missiles, we should NEVER ever push any button,
      for fear of it launching a missile that kills thousands or millions of
      people. No. We use our domain knowledge to shape our understanding of the
      risk and concomitantly structure our behavior.

      In theory there is no difference between theory in practice. In practice,
      there is.

      On Wed, Sep 28, 2011 at 2:42 PM, sandyhead25 <austin.cheney@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Output generated by JavaScript rarely exists in a vacuum. There are other
      > areas where white space characters have specific meaning. Even in JavaScript
      > white space characters, at certain times, have syntactical value. In
      > XML/HTML white space has meaning. It either alters the length of an existing
      > text node or creates an entirely new text node when not adjacent to a prior
      > existing text node. Improper use of white space will break TCL. Web servers
      > also do funny things with white space characters during a post/get request
      > and sometimes properly encoding the white space characters in URI can still
      > throw errors.
      >
      > Always yield on the side of caution. Just because you are not aware that
      > extra white space characters ever do anything does not mean you are void of
      > harm.
      >

      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "urangatang@..." <urangatang@...>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > The same could be said about comments.
      > >
      > > Has anyone come across an error caused by spaces on a blank line in
      > JavaScript?
      > >
      > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jordan Harband <ljharb@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > How are extra bytes in your file that serve no purpose and can easily
      > be removed by most editors, pre-commit hooks, or a command line tool NOT a
      > problem?

    • Luke Page
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 28, 2011
        Visual studio often pretends there is whitespace to make editing easier and
        then inserts the whitespace when you type the first character.

        However like most other editors it does appear sometimes. I'm sure that
        there is either an option to trim at save or an extension that does it...
        On 28 Sep 2011 22:33, "paulcrowder1979" <paul@...> wrote:
        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jordan Harband <ljharb@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Comments serve a purpose, trailing whitespace does not.
        >>
        >> If you avoid ASI by properly using semicolons, I doubt trailing
        whitespace will break your code, even with minification. However, it is
        still useless and unnecessary, and that should be regarded equally as
        repulsive as broken code.

        > This statement is ridiculous. I use a rather popular editor called Visual
        Studio (some of you may have heard of it) that preserves indentation on
        blank lines so that if you place the cursor there, anything you type will
        already be indented properly. As far as I know there's no way to change this
        behavior. Because my code is always minified before being put into
        production, this extra whitespace has absolutely no effect on the end
        product. I'm really starting to sour on JSLint because of the recent
        nonsense that's been added. It's a real shame because I've championed it for
        years.

      • paulcrowder1979
        Message 3 of 18 , Sep 30, 2011
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Luke Page <luke.a.page@...> wrote:

          > Visual studio often pretends there is whitespace to make editing easier and
          > then inserts the whitespace when you type the first character.
          >
          > However like most other editors it does appear sometimes. I'm sure that
          > there is either an option to trim at save or an extension that does it...

          At my company we have hundreds of thousands of lines of JavaScript, all of which get validated at some point using JSLint. There's no way I'm going to fix up all those files as well as modify the settings and/or extensions on 100+ developer machines just so we can enforce a rule that has absolutely zero effect on the end result.