Re: Unexpected ' '.

  • mocthadoohay
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
      I'm using TextMate. Does anyone know of an automated way to remove extra whitespace from lines? It would be incredibly time consuming to do it manually.

      Also, why is this error not optional if "Tolerate messy white space" is an option?

      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Robocoder (TM)" <apang@...> wrote:

      > Remove all trailing whitespace (tabs and/or spaces) from the ends of lines.
      >
      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@> wrote:
      > >
      > > I've been working on a JS file for a week or so with frequent trips thru JSLint along the way. Today, I getting tons of errors that look like this:
      > >
      > > Problem at line 243 character 62: Unexpected ' '.
      > >
      > > The "Tolerate messy white space" option has no affect on this error. This is also not a "mixed tabs and spaces" error. Can anyone offer some insight into why this error is triggered and how to tolerate whatever problem it's picking up?
      > >
      > > Thanks.

    • mocthadoohay
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
        Answering my own question: TextMate: Bundles: Text: Converting/Stripping: Remove Trailing Spaces in Document

        Looks like a must before running thru JSLint.

        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@...> wrote:

        > I'm using TextMate. Does anyone know of an automated way to remove extra whitespace from lines? It would be incredibly time consuming to do it manually.
        >
        > Also, why is this error not optional if "Tolerate messy white space" is an option?
        >
        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Robocoder (TM)" <apang@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Remove all trailing whitespace (tabs and/or spaces) from the ends of lines.
        > >
        > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > I've been working on a JS file for a week or so with frequent trips thru JSLint along the way. Today, I getting tons of errors that look like this:
        > > >
        > > > Problem at line 243 character 62: Unexpected ' '.
        > > >
        > > > The "Tolerate messy white space" option has no affect on this error. This is also not a "mixed tabs and spaces" error. Can anyone offer some insight into why this error is triggered and how to tolerate whatever problem it's picking up?
        > > >
        > > > Thanks.

      • Rob Richardson
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
          This works nicely for me:

          #!/bin/sh
          cat - | sed s/[ \t]+$//g > &1

          Rob

          Answering my own question: TextMate: Bundles: Text: Converting/Stripping:
          Remove Trailing Spaces in Document

          Looks like a must before running thru JSLint.

          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@...> wrote:

          > I'm using TextMate. Does anyone know of an automated way to remove extra
          whitespace from lines? It would be incredibly time consuming to do it
          manually.

          > Also, why is this error not optional if "Tolerate messy white space" is an
          option?

          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Robocoder (TM)" <apang@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Remove all trailing whitespace (tabs and/or spaces) from the ends of
          lines.

          > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I've been working on a JS file for a week or so with frequent trips
          thru JSLint along the way. Today, I getting tons of errors that look like
          this:

          > > > Problem at line 243 character 62: Unexpected ' '.
          > > >
          > > > The "Tolerate messy white space" option has no affect on this error.
          This is also not a "mixed tabs and spaces" error. Can anyone offer some
          insight into why this error is triggered and how to tolerate whatever
          problem it's picking up?

          > > > Thanks.

        • Michael Mikowski
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
            If anyone besides me is using vim:

            Add this to your .vimrc and then type ;k anytime you want to "klean":
            "=====[ klean - removes trailing whitespace ]=====
            map ;k :%s?\s\+$??<CR>