Unexpected ' '.

  • mocthadoohay
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2011
      I've been working on a JS file for a week or so with frequent trips thru JSLint along the way. Today, I getting tons of errors that look like this:

      Problem at line 243 character 62: Unexpected ' '.

      The "Tolerate messy white space" option has no affect on this error. This is also not a "mixed tabs and spaces" error. Can anyone offer some insight into why this error is triggered and how to tolerate whatever problem it's picking up?

      Thanks.
    • Morgaut Alexandre Louis Marc
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20, 2011
        I must say I'm facing the same problem

      • tom.haggie@sap.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 20, 2011
          Ditto
        • Phil
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 20, 2011
            I just ran a chunk of code I have not touched for awhile, that was passing all of the jslint tests. This time complained about a single unexpected ' '. In my case, that was a blank line that has a single space in it. Removing that extra space got rid of the error. Seems the parse has parser has been upgraded recently. The web page says "Edition 2011-09-16".
            Looks like the new version does not like lines that have only white space. I have NOT explored that. Just an assumption from the minimal test.

            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@...> wrote:

            > I've been working on a JS file for a week or so with frequent trips thru JSLint along the way. Today, I getting tons of errors that look like this:
            >
            > Problem at line 243 character 62: Unexpected ' '.
            >
            > The "Tolerate messy white space" option has no affect on this error. This is also not a "mixed tabs and spaces" error. Can anyone offer some insight into why this error is triggered and how to tolerate whatever problem it's picking up?
            >
            > Thanks.

          • Robocoder (TM)
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 20, 2011
              Remove all trailing whitespace (tabs and/or spaces) from the ends of lines.

              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@...> wrote:

              > I've been working on a JS file for a week or so with frequent trips thru JSLint along the way. Today, I getting tons of errors that look like this:
              >
              > Problem at line 243 character 62: Unexpected ' '.
              >
              > The "Tolerate messy white space" option has no affect on this error. This is also not a "mixed tabs and spaces" error. Can anyone offer some insight into why this error is triggered and how to tolerate whatever problem it's picking up?
              >
              > Thanks.

            • mocthadoohay
              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
                I'm using TextMate. Does anyone know of an automated way to remove extra whitespace from lines? It would be incredibly time consuming to do it manually.

                Also, why is this error not optional if "Tolerate messy white space" is an option?

                --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Robocoder (TM)" <apang@...> wrote:

                > Remove all trailing whitespace (tabs and/or spaces) from the ends of lines.
                >
                > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@> wrote:
                > >
                > > I've been working on a JS file for a week or so with frequent trips thru JSLint along the way. Today, I getting tons of errors that look like this:
                > >
                > > Problem at line 243 character 62: Unexpected ' '.
                > >
                > > The "Tolerate messy white space" option has no affect on this error. This is also not a "mixed tabs and spaces" error. Can anyone offer some insight into why this error is triggered and how to tolerate whatever problem it's picking up?
                > >
                > > Thanks.

              • mocthadoohay
                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
                  Answering my own question: TextMate: Bundles: Text: Converting/Stripping: Remove Trailing Spaces in Document

                  Looks like a must before running thru JSLint.

                  --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@...> wrote:

                  > I'm using TextMate. Does anyone know of an automated way to remove extra whitespace from lines? It would be incredibly time consuming to do it manually.
                  >
                  > Also, why is this error not optional if "Tolerate messy white space" is an option?
                  >
                  > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Robocoder (TM)" <apang@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Remove all trailing whitespace (tabs and/or spaces) from the ends of lines.
                  > >
                  > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I've been working on a JS file for a week or so with frequent trips thru JSLint along the way. Today, I getting tons of errors that look like this:
                  > > >
                  > > > Problem at line 243 character 62: Unexpected ' '.
                  > > >
                  > > > The "Tolerate messy white space" option has no affect on this error. This is also not a "mixed tabs and spaces" error. Can anyone offer some insight into why this error is triggered and how to tolerate whatever problem it's picking up?
                  > > >
                  > > > Thanks.

                • Rob Richardson
                  Message 8 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
                    This works nicely for me:

                    #!/bin/sh
                    cat - | sed s/[ \t]+$//g > &1

                    Rob

                    Answering my own question: TextMate: Bundles: Text: Converting/Stripping:
                    Remove Trailing Spaces in Document

                    Looks like a must before running thru JSLint.

                    --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@...> wrote:

                    > I'm using TextMate. Does anyone know of an automated way to remove extra
                    whitespace from lines? It would be incredibly time consuming to do it
                    manually.

                    > Also, why is this error not optional if "Tolerate messy white space" is an
                    option?

                    > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Robocoder (TM)" <apang@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Remove all trailing whitespace (tabs and/or spaces) from the ends of
                    lines.

                    > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "mocthadoohay" <mocthadoohay@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > I've been working on a JS file for a week or so with frequent trips
                    thru JSLint along the way. Today, I getting tons of errors that look like
                    this:

                    > > > Problem at line 243 character 62: Unexpected ' '.
                    > > >
                    > > > The "Tolerate messy white space" option has no affect on this error.
                    This is also not a "mixed tabs and spaces" error. Can anyone offer some
                    insight into why this error is triggered and how to tolerate whatever
                    problem it's picking up?

                    > > > Thanks.

                  • Michael Mikowski
                    Message 9 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
                      If anyone besides me is using vim:

                      Add this to your .vimrc and then type ;k anytime you want to "klean":
                      "=====[ klean - removes trailing whitespace ]=====
                      map ;k :%s?\s\+$??<CR>