Re: [jslint] Re: "unnamed" Parameter Option

  • Robert Ferney
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 20, 2011
      'arguments' is leaving the language?
      So, how do we handle functions that accept a variable number of arguments?

      - Robert Ferney

      On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "benxwhite" <ben.a.white@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > It would be nice if there was an option to disable the "Use a named
      > parameter" check.
      >
      > arguments will be leaving the language.
      > Start getting used to not using it.

    • Doc Emmett Splendid
      Message 2 of 9 , Sep 20, 2011
        I've been wondering what the intent is on that as well. Perhaps the new recommended best practise is to pass in a single array argument in that case?

        ________________________________
        So, how do we handle functions that accept a variable number of arguments?

        - Robert Ferney

        On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 9:11 AM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "benxwhite" <ben.a.white@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > It would be nice if there was an option to disable the "Use a named
        > parameter" check.
        >
        > arguments will be leaving the language.
        > Start getting used to not using it.

      • Xavier MONTILLET
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 20, 2011
          Plus arguments is the only way to determine if an argument was omitted or if
          it was given the value undefined. Which should react differently on
          functions that are both getters and setters.

          Sent from my smartphone.
          On Sep 20, 2011 7:56 PM, "Doc Emmett Splendid" <emmett.thesane@...>
          wrote:
          > I've been wondering what the intent is on that as well. Perhaps the new
          recommended best practise is to pass in a single array argument in that
          case?

          > ________________________________

        • Marcel Duran
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 20, 2011
            On Tue, Sep 20, 2011 at 1:47 PM, Xavier MONTILLET wrote:

            > **
            >

            > Plus arguments is the only way to determine if an argument was omitted or
            > if
            > it was given the value undefined. Which should react differently on
            > functions that are both getters and setters.
            >
            > Not necessarily, one can use object and arrays to mimmic arguments, e.g.:

            function f (o) {
            ....if (o && typeof o.foo !== 'undefined') {
            ........// do something with o.foo
            ....}
            ....if (o && typeof o.bar !== 'undefined' &&
            yourFavoriteArrayCheckFunction(o.bar)) {
            ........// iterate o.bar
            ....}
            }

            f({foo: true, bar: ['abc', 'def', 'ghi']});
            f({foo: true});
            f({bar: ['abc', 'def', 'ghi']});
            f({foo: true, bar: ['abc', 'def', 'ghi'], baz: 'something'});
            f({baz: 'something'});
            f({});
            f();

            --
            Marcel Duran

          • sandyhead25
            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
              Simple. Change the format of input to an object literal. Then you can have a variable number of named parameters. Consider the following:

              var args = {first: "x", second: "y", third: "z"},
              mycode = function (args) {
              //args.first === "x";
              };

              Here is an actual living example from a real application:
              https://github.com/austincheney/Pretty-Diff/blob/master/markup_beauty.js

              Message 6 of 9 , Sep 21, 2011
                I don't get the point of removing arguments if it forces you to ask for an
                array as argument...

                Message 7 of 9 , Sep 22, 2011
                  Could you rephrase that? I am not sure what you are asking.