escape & unescape

    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 15, 2008
      escape & unescape do not do url encoding correctly and they are not in
      the official standard. JSLint no longer accepts them. If you want
      JSLint to pass crappy legacy code containing them, insert

      /*global escape, unescape */

      in your program.
    • Re Miya
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 16, 2008
        wrote:

        > escape & unescape do not do url encoding correctly and they are not in
        > the official standard. JSLint no longer accepts them. If you want
        > JSLint to pass crappy legacy code containing them, insert
        >
        > /*global escape, unescape */
        >
        > in your program.

        Hello Douglas,

        This is the first time I heard that escape and unescape do not do URL
        encoding correctly, and are not in the official standard. Where can I
        find more information about this issue? Will this issue be resolved in
        the next JavaScript releases?

        What solution would you propose for escape and unescape?

        Best regards.
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 17, 2008
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Re Miya" <remiya_ws@...> wrote:
          > This is the first time I heard that escape and unescape do not do URL
          > encoding correctly, and are not in the official standard. Where can I
          > find more information about this issue? Will this issue be resolved in
          > the next JavaScript releases?
          >
          > What solution would you propose for escape and unescape?

          See
          http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsmthescape.asp
        • Fred Lorrain
          Message 4 of 5 , Sep 23, 2008
            wrote:

            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Re Miya" <remiya_ws@> wrote:
            > > This is the first time I heard that escape and unescape do not do URL
            > > encoding correctly, and are not in the official standard. Where can I
            > > find more information about this issue? Will this issue be resolved in
            > > the next JavaScript releases?
            > >
            > > What solution would you propose for escape and unescape?
            >
            > See

            http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/script56/html/js56jsmthescape.asp

            The link is dead :C
          • Michael Newton
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 23, 2008
              This link is not dead: http://developer.mozilla.org/en/Core_JavaScript_1.5_Reference/Global_Functions/encodeURIComponent

              And just in case it is in the future, I'll spend the extra 20 second to type a message: The recommended function to use is encodeURIComponent instead of escape and decodeURIComponent instead of unescape. These functions work on a single value to be inserted as part of a URI. If you want instead to encode an entire URI, use the encodeURI and decodeURI functions, although these do not encode as many characters.