Re: [jslint] Tolerate

  • ScottJ
    Message 1 of 18 , Sep 6 11:41 AM
      I keep a local copy of jslint too (as part of jslint_on_rails) but that doesn't solve the problem here. The issue is that one change to jslint has caused all kinds of js sources to start failing, with no option for backward compatibility. That means I have to update jslint plus *all* my js sources as one big atomic change.

      It would be preferable to be able to update one js source file, then checkin. Update another, checkin. Etc. With dozens of js source files originally written by dozens of authors, it is a real headache to get all of them updated together.

      The reality is that I will have to disable jslint in our workflow for some time, or kludge up some way to keep multiple versions of jslint active and have each source file specify which version it is compatible with.

      Neither of those are good options.

      Bottom line: A professional tool like jslint should not change so drastically without any regard for backward compatibility. That pushes people away from it, and that is a real shame.

      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Kent Davidson <kent@...> wrote:

      > Scott,
      >
      > What we do at my company is pull down versions of the jslint code and site and then host it internally on test web servers (e.g. test.example.com/jslint.com/), and then use Selenium to automatically place our JS code into it and check for errors.
    • Kent Davidson
      Message 2 of 18 , Sep 6 12:30 PM
        Sorry for misinterpreting your post. I see the issue.

        Is it possible to simply pre-process the legacy JavaScript before plugging it through JSLint as was outlined by Merlin above to "fix" it?

        -Kent.

        --
        Kent Davidson
        Market Ruler, LLC