JSLint for checking javascript for Firefox extensions

  • saturn_jct
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
      After tracking down a bug in 0.8.5.3 of the HTML Validator Firefox
      extension, I decided to try out JSLint on some of the code in it. It
      doesn't work because of some things that I think are Javascript
      extensions usable only by Firefox extensions.

      The first problem I ran into is the use of "const", which isn't
      recognized by JSLint.

      The other problem was the use of "window.arguments". JSLint considers
      "arguments" to be a reserved word. Try as I might, I couldn't find a
      reference anywhere that listed arguments as a current or possible
      future reserved word. I did find out that "window.arguments" is an
      additional property created when a window is created using
      window.OpenDialog, which appears to be part of the Gecko DOM. See
      http://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/window.openDialog

      Now beyond these two problems, JSLint was showing lots of questionable
      things in the Javascript of the extension.

      Where I'm going with this is that I think it would be of significant
      use to people to be able to use JSLint on the code for their Firefox
      extensions. There would be the problem of sorting out what extensions
      and modifications are available when programming for Firefox Extensions.

      Any thoughts?

      Thanks,

      Shane
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 3, 2008
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "saturn_jct" <turner@...> wrote:

        > After tracking down a bug in 0.8.5.3 of the HTML Validator Firefox
        > extension, I decided to try out JSLint on some of the code in it. It
        > doesn't work because of some things that I think are Javascript
        > extensions usable only by Firefox extensions.
        >
        > The first problem I ran into is the use of "const", which isn't
        > recognized by JSLint.
        >
        > The other problem was the use of "window.arguments". JSLint considers
        > "arguments" to be a reserved word. Try as I might, I couldn't find a
        > reference anywhere that listed arguments as a current or possible
        > future reserved word. I did find out that "window.arguments" is an
        > additional property created when a window is created using
        > window.OpenDialog, which appears to be part of the Gecko DOM. See
        > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/window.openDialog
        >
        > Now beyond these two problems, JSLint was showing lots of questionable
        > things in the Javascript of the extension.
        >
        > Where I'm going with this is that I think it would be of significant
        > use to people to be able to use JSLint on the code for their Firefox
        > extensions. There would be the problem of sorting out what extensions
        > and modifications are available when programming for Firefox Extensions.

        Early on JSLint had support for some of JScript's deviations. I
        decided to remove that because we are better off sticking to the
        portable standard. I think that is still good advice.

        Just because Firefox plays fast and loose with the standard doesn't
        mean that we should.

        JSLint reserves arguments to prevent a number of bad actions that
        happen from attempting to modify arguments.

        Any property stored in the global object (aka window) is a global
        variable.
      • Fred Lorrain
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
          wrote:

          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "saturn_jct" <turner@> wrote:
          > >
          > > After tracking down a bug in 0.8.5.3 of the HTML Validator Firefox
          > > extension, I decided to try out JSLint on some of the code in it. It
          > > doesn't work because of some things that I think are Javascript
          > > extensions usable only by Firefox extensions.
          > >
          > > The first problem I ran into is the use of "const", which isn't
          > > recognized by JSLint.
          > >
          > > The other problem was the use of "window.arguments". JSLint considers
          > > "arguments" to be a reserved word. Try as I might, I couldn't find a
          > > reference anywhere that listed arguments as a current or possible
          > > future reserved word. I did find out that "window.arguments" is an
          > > additional property created when a window is created using
          > > window.OpenDialog, which appears to be part of the Gecko DOM. See
          > > http://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/window.openDialog
          > >
          > > Now beyond these two problems, JSLint was showing lots of questionable
          > > things in the Javascript of the extension.
          > >
          > > Where I'm going with this is that I think it would be of significant
          > > use to people to be able to use JSLint on the code for their Firefox
          > > extensions. There would be the problem of sorting out what extensions
          > > and modifications are available when programming for Firefox
          Extensions.

          > Early on JSLint had support for some of JScript's deviations. I
          > decided to remove that because we are better off sticking to the
          > portable standard. I think that is still good advice.
          >
          > Just because Firefox plays fast and loose with the standard doesn't
          > mean that we should.
          >
          > JSLint reserves arguments to prevent a number of bad actions that
          > happen from attempting to modify arguments.
          >
          > Any property stored in the global object (aka window) is a global
          > variable.

          'const' exists in Javascript since version 1.5?
          JSLint doesn't accept 'const' ??

          If yes, why ?
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 5, 2008
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Lorrain" <yahoo@...> wrote:
            > 'const' exists in Javascript since version 1.5?
            > JSLint doesn't accept 'const' ??

            const is not in the ECMAScript standard.
            JSLint accepts a subset of the ECMAScript standard.