Re: [jslint] Re: double underscores

  • Martin Cooper
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3 4:26 PM
      On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann@...> wrote:
      >>
      >> I'm trying to use JSLint to check code that uses the Express module of Node.js.
      >> It uses the variable __dirname.
      >> Is there an option for JSLint that would allow that? nomen seems to
      >> only ignore one leading underscore.
      >

      > Double underbar is an ultra bad practice because of its diabolical use by implementations like Spidermonkey.
      >
      > Leading underbar is stupid. Double leading underbar is double stupid.

      It's the Node.js core committers you'd need to convince of that, Doug.
      The consumers of the Node.js API - including the JSLint users here on
      this list - don't have any real say in the matter.

      --
      Martin Cooper

    • Martin Cooper
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 4:33 PM
        On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann@...> wrote:
        > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:
        >
        >> **
        >>

        >> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Mark Volkmann
        >> <r.mark.volkmann@...> wrote:
        >> > I'm trying to use JSLint to check code that uses the Express module of
        >> Node.js.
        >> > It uses the variable __dirname.
        >> > Is there an option for JSLint that would allow that? nomen seems to
        >> > only ignore one leading underscore.
        >>
        >> Try "node: true" instead (which is "Assume Node.js" on the web site).
        >>

        > That doesn't work for me. I ran JSLint on the following:
        >
        > /*jslint node: true */
        > console.log(__dirname);
        >
        > It complains about the double-underscore in front of "dirname" despite the
        > fact that the "node" option is supposed to define "__dirname" as a global
        > variable.

        Okay, it seems you need both. Try:

        /*jslint node: true, nomen: true */
        console.log(__dirname);