Re: [jslint] double underscores

  • Martin Cooper
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
      On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Mark Volkmann
      <r.mark.volkmann@...> wrote:
      > I'm trying to use JSLint to check code that uses the Express module of Node.js.
      > It uses the variable __dirname.
      > Is there an option for JSLint that would allow that? nomen seems to
      > only ignore one leading underscore.

      Try "node: true" instead (which is "Assume Node.js" on the web site).

      --
      Martin Cooper

      > --
      > R. Mark Volkmann
      > Object Computing, Inc.

    • Mark Volkmann
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
        On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:

        > **
        >

        > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Mark Volkmann
        > <r.mark.volkmann@...> wrote:
        > > I'm trying to use JSLint to check code that uses the Express module of
        > Node.js.
        > > It uses the variable __dirname.
        > > Is there an option for JSLint that would allow that? nomen seems to
        > > only ignore one leading underscore.
        >
        > Try "node: true" instead (which is "Assume Node.js" on the web site).

        That doesn't work for me. I ran JSLint on the following:

        /*jslint node: true */
        console.log(__dirname);

        It complains about the double-underscore in front of "dirname" despite the
        fact that the "node" option is supposed to define "__dirname" as a global
        variable.

        --
        R. Mark Volkmann
        Object Computing, Inc.

        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann@...> wrote:

          > I'm trying to use JSLint to check code that uses the Express module of Node.js.
          > It uses the variable __dirname.
          > Is there an option for JSLint that would allow that? nomen seems to
          > only ignore one leading underscore.

          Double underbar is an ultra bad practice because of its diabolical use by implementations like Spidermonkey.

          Leading underbar is stupid. Double leading underbar is double stupid.
        • Martin Cooper
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
            On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:26 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann@...> wrote:
            >>
            >> I'm trying to use JSLint to check code that uses the Express module of Node.js.
            >> It uses the variable __dirname.
            >> Is there an option for JSLint that would allow that? nomen seems to
            >> only ignore one leading underscore.
            >

            > Double underbar is an ultra bad practice because of its diabolical use by implementations like Spidermonkey.
            >
            > Leading underbar is stupid. Double leading underbar is double stupid.

            It's the Node.js core committers you'd need to convince of that, Doug.
            The consumers of the Node.js API - including the JSLint users here on
            this list - don't have any real say in the matter.

            --
            Martin Cooper

          • Martin Cooper
            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 3, 2011
              On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Mark Volkmann <r.mark.volkmann@...> wrote:
              > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 3:53 PM, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:
              >
              >> **
              >>

              >> On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 12:09 PM, Mark Volkmann
              >> <r.mark.volkmann@...> wrote:
              >> > I'm trying to use JSLint to check code that uses the Express module of
              >> Node.js.
              >> > It uses the variable __dirname.
              >> > Is there an option for JSLint that would allow that? nomen seems to
              >> > only ignore one leading underscore.
              >>
              >> Try "node: true" instead (which is "Assume Node.js" on the web site).
              >>

              > That doesn't work for me. I ran JSLint on the following:
              >
              > /*jslint node: true */
              > console.log(__dirname);
              >
              > It complains about the double-underscore in front of "dirname" despite the
              > fact that the "node" option is supposed to define "__dirname" as a global
              > variable.

              Okay, it seems you need both. Try:

              /*jslint node: true, nomen: true */
              console.log(__dirname);