Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

"Unsafe character" error on newlines

Expand Messages
  • Rob
    Howdy all, Yesterday www.jslint.com processed my .js program and gave no errors. Today, on the same .js program, it seems to be giving an error at the end of
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2011
    View Source
    • 0 Attachment
      Howdy all,

      Yesterday www.jslint.com processed my .js program and gave no errors.
      Today, on the same .js program, it seems to be giving an error at the
      end of each line, such as:

      Problem at line 1 character 18: Unsafe character.

      It reports such a problem for every line of my program. I've been
      using the options

      /*jslint white: true, browser: true, nomen: true, regexp: true,
      bitwise: true, newcap: true, maxerr: 999, indent: 3 */

      Anyone having the same problem or know what might be happening?
      Thanks!

      --
      Rob LeGrand
    • Rob
      ... Important omitted detail: I am using Opera 11.11 for Windows. JSLint worked for me yesterday on Opera. It seems to work fine today on Chrome and
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 3, 2011
      View Source
      • 0 Attachment
        I wrote:
        > Yesterday www.jslint.com processed my .js program and gave no
        > errors. Today, on the same .js program, it seems to be giving an
        > error at the end of each line, such as:
        >
        > Problem at line 1 character 18: Unsafe character.

        Important omitted detail: I am using Opera 11.11 for Windows. JSLint
        worked for me yesterday on Opera. It seems to work fine today on
        Chrome and Firefox.

        --
        Rob LeGrand
      • Rob
        ... Another omitted detail: Here is a tiny program that recreates the problem for me. var truthyFunc = function () { return true; }; On Opera I get an Unsafe
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 3, 2011
        View Source
        • 0 Attachment
          I wrote:
          > > Yesterday www.jslint.com processed my .js program and gave no
          > > errors. Today, on the same .js program, it seems to be giving an
          > > error at the end of each line, such as:
          > >
          > > Problem at line 1 character 18: Unsafe character.
          >
          > Important omitted detail: I am using Opera 11.11 for Windows.
          > JSLint worked for me yesterday on Opera. It seems to work fine
          > today on Chrome and Firefox.

          Another omitted detail: Here is a tiny program that recreates the
          problem for me.

          var truthyFunc = function () {
          return true;
          };

          On Opera I get an "Unsafe character" error on each line but the last
          one, which makes me think it's having trouble with newlines. It
          worked for me yesterday on Opera and seems to work fine today on
          Chrome and Firefox.

          --
          Rob LeGrand
        • Douglas Crockford
          ... Thanks. As usual, Opera was doing the right thing. There were errors in two regexp literals. Most of the browsers erroneously matched anyway. Opera,
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 3, 2011
          View Source
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Rob" <honky1998@...> wrote:
            > Yesterday www.jslint.com processed my .js program and gave no errors.
            > Today, on the same .js program, it seems to be giving an error at the
            > end of each line, such as:
            >
            > Problem at line 1 character 18: Unsafe character.
            >
            > It reports such a problem for every line of my program. I've been
            > using the options
            >
            > /*jslint white: true, browser: true, nomen: true, regexp: true,
            > bitwise: true, newcap: true, maxerr: 999, indent: 3 */
            >
            > Anyone having the same problem or know what might be happening?
            > Thanks!

            Thanks. As usual, Opera was doing the right thing. There were errors in two regexp literals. Most of the browsers erroneously matched anyway. Opera, correctly, did not.

            Please try it now.
          • Rob
            ... Works perfectly. Thank you! And thanks for JSLint; it has saved me many times. -- Rob LeGrand
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2011
            View Source
            • 0 Attachment
              Douglas Crockford wrote:
              > Thanks. As usual, Opera was doing the right thing. There were errors
              > in two regexp literals. Most of the browsers erroneously matched
              > anyway. Opera, correctly, did not.
              > Please try it now.

              Works perfectly. Thank you! And thanks for JSLint; it has saved me
              many times.

              --
              Rob LeGrand
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.