Re: [jslint] Actual JavaScript Engine Performance

  • Eric Goforth
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
      What's the second "IE10" column, is that the performance of IE10 on same
      tests as the other browser? If so, why does its performance vary so
      much?

      -Eric

      On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:39:18 -0400
      Kent Davidson <kent@...> wrote:

      > Ditto that sentiment. It appears that the "Seconds" column shows the
      > number of seconds, then the last column is relative to IE10, which
      > has the fastest parser/execution engine. In order of slow to fast:
      >
      > Chrome, IE 9, Opera 11, FF 4, Safari 5, IE 10
      >
      > Surprising about Chrome, wonder if it's some RegExp issue.
      >
      > -Kent.
      >
      > On Apr 20, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Mark Volkmann wrote:
      >
      > > On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Erik Eckhardt
      > > <erik@...> wrote:
      > > > That's kind of exciting to see. Chrome's bragging is so
      > > > justified, apparently.
      > >
      > > Am I reading the results wrong? I thought they show that Chrome has
      > > the slowest JavaScript engine.
      > >
      > > --
      > > R. Mark Volkmann
      > > Object Computing, Inc.

    • mathew
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
        On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:54, Eric Goforth <eric.goforth@...> wrote:

        > What's the second "IE10" column, is that the performance of IE10 on
        > same tests as the other browser?

        Looks to me like the factor by which IE 10 is faster than the other browser.

        e.g. IE 10 takes 2 seconds, other browser takes 6 seconds, second IE10
        column says 3 because the other browser takes 3x as long as IE10.

        mathew

      • Erik Eckhardt
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
          For what it's worth I meant to say "Chrome's bragging is NOT so justified"

          On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC <
          austin.cheney@...> wrote:

          > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
          >
          > > That's kind of exciting to see. Chrome's bragging is so justified,
          > > apparently.
          >
          > It is not so simple. Computation time of JavaScript, and thus metrics of
          > performance results, is extremely relative. It is relative to a single
          > machine with a somewhat static software configuration, the user-agent, and
          > the state of the user-agent. In JavaScript performance benchmarks I never
          > see any mention or measure of user-agent state. Consider the following:
          >
          > 1) Open Firefox and after all application start up is complete verify the
          > amount memory consumed by that application process thread, thread hierarchy,
          > or thread collection is consuming as reported by your respective operating
          > system.
          >
          > 2) Do not open any additional tab in the browser. In the one default tab go
          > to JSLint with the "Good Parts" option set and test a very large
          > application, such the JSLint application itself. Observed the processing
          > time.
          >
          > 3) Then open 11 additional tabs. Point some of these tabs to various large
          > PDF files. Point one other tab to Facebook and message some people you know
          > and engage in their live chat for a few seconds. In yet another tab go to
          > armorgames.com and play for two minutes in 5 different games. In yet
          > another tab go view some of the HTML5 demos online and interact with them.
          > In yet another tab go to a website with horrible amounts of advertisements,
          > of which there are a few to pick from. Do not close any of these tabs.
          >
          > 4) In the original tab run JSLint again. The processing time will have
          > increased by more than 15%, which is outside an allowable threshold of
          > variance.
          >
          > 5) Observe the amount of memory the browser is now consuming compared to
          > when it was originally opened. I gotten a single Firefox browser to consume
          > more than 1.4gb of memory on a 2gb machine. The more memory the browser
          > consumes the lower its processing performance of JavaScript, especially with
          > regards to large JavaScript applications receiving extremely large input.
          >
          > This said you can make Firefox 3.6 out perform Chrome 10 on the same
          > machine running the same JavaScript application with the same input. You
          > could even make IE7 out perform Firefox 3.1 presuming you don't crash the
          > browser or operating system attempting to push the memory threshold, which
          > Firefox can and will do on Windows XP.
          >
          > Austin Cheney, CISSP
          > http://prettydiff.com/
          > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

        • Jean-Charles Meyrignac
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
            Other questions:

            how did the browsers have been benchmarked ?

            Is the time column a mean of several runs (10 or 100 times ?), or is it only
            one run ?

            Also, do you count the time to open the browser or not ?

            And finally, is everything in cache ?

            JC

            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
              The JSLint benchmark is a measure of JavaScript performance. It does not
              attempt to measure overall browser performance. It does not look at
              network efficiency, marshalling, rendering, layout, or any factor other
              than the execution of JavaScript. Most web applications are DOM limited.
              Such applications benefit little if at all from improved JavaScript
              performance. The benefit of the new faster JavaScript engines is the
              enabling of new kinds of applications.

              The JSLint benchmark is 6.6KLOC. Ordinary benchmarks tend to be much
              smaller. It does a good mix or regular expressions, string building
              with + and join, and prototypal and functional patterns.

              I was very surprised to see Chrome score at the bottom. My expectation
              was that it would score at the top. I don't know why that was the case.
            • Jean-Charles Meyrignac
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
                I'm sorry, but this is not an answer to my question.

                How did you compute the benchmark ?

                Did you run JSLint 10 times on every browser, removed the slowest and faster
                runs, and computed the average of the remaining runs ? (I think that this is
                the standard method to compute benchmarks).

                Or did you run the program once, and just displayed the time it took to run
                the program ?

                Browsers tend to be slow when you start them, and Chrome is very slow when
                you open a window (see how much memory it consumes !).
                I guess also that their JS engine may be slower to generate assembly code,
                but probably does a better job at optimizing it.
                On the other hand, and I hope I'm not wrong, JSLint doesn't heavily execute
                loops, so converting it to assembly code should not be very efficient.

                Another thing is that, in order to appear fast, the browsers tend to redraw
                the loaded page frequently, and this slows down the Javascript engine.

                In the case of Chrome, the 2.801 seconds may be an artefact.

                JC
                (Not trying to defend Chrome, since I prefer Firefox !)

                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
                  --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Charles Meyrignac <jcmeyrignac@...> wrote:

                  > I'm sorry, but this is not an answer to my question.
                  >
                  > How did you compute the benchmark ?
                  >
                  > Did you run JSLint 10 times on every browser, removed the slowest and faster
                  > runs, and computed the average of the remaining runs ? (I think that this is
                  > the standard method to compute benchmarks).
                  >
                  > Or did you run the program once, and just displayed the time it took to run
                  > the program ?
                  >
                  > Browsers tend to be slow when you start them, and Chrome is very slow when
                  > you open a window (see how much memory it consumes !).
                  > I guess also that their JS engine may be slower to generate assembly code,
                  > but probably does a better job at optimizing it.
                  > On the other hand, and I hope I'm not wrong, JSLint doesn't heavily execute
                  > loops, so converting it to assembly code should not be very efficient.
                  >
                  > Another thing is that, in order to appear fast, the browsers tend to redraw
                  > the loaded page frequently, and this slows down the Javascript engine.
                  >
                  > In the case of Chrome, the 2.801 seconds may be an artefact.

                  Try the experiment yourself.
                • Jean-Charles Meyrignac
                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
                    Here are my timings, I have an old laptop with Windows 7 64-bits:

                    Firefox 4.0: 0.807 seconds
                    IE 9: 1.113 seconds
                    Chrome: 1.867 seconds

                    I guess that the rendering is slow, because the result page is large.

                    JC

                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
                      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Charles Meyrignac <jcmeyrignac@...> wrote:

                      > Here are my timings, I have an old laptop with Windows 7 64-bits:
                      >
                      > Firefox 4.0: 0.807 seconds
                      > IE 9: 1.113 seconds
                      > Chrome: 1.867 seconds

                      That is in line with my results.

                      > I guess that the rendering is slow, because the result page is large.

                      Rendering is not a factor. It only measures JavaScript execution.
                      Chrome executes slower.