Re: [jslint] Actual JavaScript Engine Performance

  • Satyam
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
      As the subject line well says, this is the performance of the JavaScript
      engine, not the performance of the browser as a whole. How good is the
      interface to the DOM (usually several times slower than the JavaScript
      execution on its own) or how many XHR connections to the data servers it
      can handle might really make a difference in a whole application. So,
      read these results as what they are, as the subject line states.

      Satyam

      El 20/04/2011 21:39, Kent Davidson escribió:
      > Ditto that sentiment. It appears that the "Seconds" column shows the number of seconds, then the last column is relative to IE10, which has the fastest parser/execution engine. In order of slow to fast:
      >
      > Chrome, IE 9, Opera 11, FF 4, Safari 5, IE 10
      >
      > Surprising about Chrome, wonder if it's some RegExp issue.
      >
      > -Kent.
      >
      > On Apr 20, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Mark Volkmann wrote:
      >
      >> On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Erik Eckhardt<erik@...> wrote:
      >>> That's kind of exciting to see. Chrome's bragging is so justified, apparently.
      >> Am I reading the results wrong? I thought they show that Chrome has
      >> the slowest JavaScript engine.
      >>
      >> --
      >> R. Mark Volkmann
      >> Object Computing, Inc.

      > -----
      > No virus found in this message.

    • Eric Goforth
      Message 2 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
        What's the second "IE10" column, is that the performance of IE10 on same
        tests as the other browser? If so, why does its performance vary so
        much?

        -Eric

        On Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:39:18 -0400
        Kent Davidson <kent@...> wrote:

        > Ditto that sentiment. It appears that the "Seconds" column shows the
        > number of seconds, then the last column is relative to IE10, which
        > has the fastest parser/execution engine. In order of slow to fast:
        >
        > Chrome, IE 9, Opera 11, FF 4, Safari 5, IE 10
        >
        > Surprising about Chrome, wonder if it's some RegExp issue.
        >
        > -Kent.
        >
        > On Apr 20, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Mark Volkmann wrote:
        >
        > > On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM, Erik Eckhardt
        > > <erik@...> wrote:
        > > > That's kind of exciting to see. Chrome's bragging is so
        > > > justified, apparently.
        > >
        > > Am I reading the results wrong? I thought they show that Chrome has
        > > the slowest JavaScript engine.
        > >
        > > --
        > > R. Mark Volkmann
        > > Object Computing, Inc.

      • Luke Page
        Message 3 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
          Real life performance measuring almost always involves dom.. not many
          computationally expensive things are written for browsers.

          I would class jslint as an exception to this. Ie9 has fast javascript
          execution but in some cases the same dom performance as ie8 making in the
          end, little real world performance benefit. Has anyone tried profiling
          Chrome to see what is slow?
          On 20 Apr 2011 21:13, "Satyam" <satyam@...> wrote:
          > As the subject line well says, this is the performance of the JavaScript
          > engine, not the performance of the browser as a whole. How good is the
          > interface to the DOM (usually several times slower than the JavaScript
          > execution on its own) or how many XHR connections to the data servers it
          > can handle might really make a difference in a whole application. So,
          > read these results as what they are, as the subject line states.
          >
          > Satyam
          >
          > El 20/04/2011 21:39, Kent Davidson escribió:
          >> Ditto that sentiment. It appears that the "Seconds" column shows the
          number of seconds, then the last column is relative to IE10, which has the
          fastest parser/execution engine. In order of slow to fast:

          >> Chrome, IE 9, Opera 11, FF 4, Safari 5, IE 10
          >>
          >> Surprising about Chrome, wonder if it's some RegExp issue.
          >>
          >> -Kent.
          >>
          >> On Apr 20, 2011, at 3:20 PM, Mark Volkmann wrote:

          >>> Am I reading the results wrong? I thought they show that Chrome has
          >>> the slowest JavaScript engine.
          >>>
          >>> --
          >>> R. Mark Volkmann
          >>> Object Computing, Inc.

          >> -----
          >> No virus found in this message.

        • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
          Message 4 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
            Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
            > As the subject line well says, this is the performance of thejava_script
            > engine, not the performance of the browser as a whole.

            That is a slippery slope. The depth of integration of the JavaScript interpreter into the core of the browser application is wildly variant. As a result your point is less valid in regards to some user-agents than with others. Unfortunately, your point cannot be entirely valid unless you wish to suggest a user-agent that is little more than an API wrapping a JavaScript interpreter, such as Rhino or Node.js. With regard to measuring performance and responsiveness how do you separate the JavaScript interpreter from the browser?
            Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
          • mathew
            Message 5 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
              On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 15:54, Eric Goforth <eric.goforth@...> wrote:

              > What's the second "IE10" column, is that the performance of IE10 on
              > same tests as the other browser?

              Looks to me like the factor by which IE 10 is faster than the other browser.

              e.g. IE 10 takes 2 seconds, other browser takes 6 seconds, second IE10
              column says 3 because the other browser takes 3x as long as IE10.

              mathew

            • Erik Eckhardt
              Message 6 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
                For what it's worth I meant to say "Chrome's bragging is NOT so justified"

                On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 12:04 PM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC <
                austin.cheney@...> wrote:

                > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
                >
                > > That's kind of exciting to see. Chrome's bragging is so justified,
                > > apparently.
                >
                > It is not so simple. Computation time of JavaScript, and thus metrics of
                > performance results, is extremely relative. It is relative to a single
                > machine with a somewhat static software configuration, the user-agent, and
                > the state of the user-agent. In JavaScript performance benchmarks I never
                > see any mention or measure of user-agent state. Consider the following:
                >
                > 1) Open Firefox and after all application start up is complete verify the
                > amount memory consumed by that application process thread, thread hierarchy,
                > or thread collection is consuming as reported by your respective operating
                > system.
                >
                > 2) Do not open any additional tab in the browser. In the one default tab go
                > to JSLint with the "Good Parts" option set and test a very large
                > application, such the JSLint application itself. Observed the processing
                > time.
                >
                > 3) Then open 11 additional tabs. Point some of these tabs to various large
                > PDF files. Point one other tab to Facebook and message some people you know
                > and engage in their live chat for a few seconds. In yet another tab go to
                > armorgames.com and play for two minutes in 5 different games. In yet
                > another tab go view some of the HTML5 demos online and interact with them.
                > In yet another tab go to a website with horrible amounts of advertisements,
                > of which there are a few to pick from. Do not close any of these tabs.
                >
                > 4) In the original tab run JSLint again. The processing time will have
                > increased by more than 15%, which is outside an allowable threshold of
                > variance.
                >
                > 5) Observe the amount of memory the browser is now consuming compared to
                > when it was originally opened. I gotten a single Firefox browser to consume
                > more than 1.4gb of memory on a 2gb machine. The more memory the browser
                > consumes the lower its processing performance of JavaScript, especially with
                > regards to large JavaScript applications receiving extremely large input.
                >
                > This said you can make Firefox 3.6 out perform Chrome 10 on the same
                > machine running the same JavaScript application with the same input. You
                > could even make IE7 out perform Firefox 3.1 presuming you don't crash the
                > browser or operating system attempting to push the memory threshold, which
                > Firefox can and will do on Windows XP.
                >
                > Austin Cheney, CISSP
                > http://prettydiff.com/
                > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

              • Jean-Charles Meyrignac
                Message 7 of 18 , Apr 20, 2011
                  Other questions:

                  how did the browsers have been benchmarked ?

                  Is the time column a mean of several runs (10 or 100 times ?), or is it only
                  one run ?

                  Also, do you count the time to open the browser or not ?

                  And finally, is everything in cache ?

                  JC

                  Message 8 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
                    The JSLint benchmark is a measure of JavaScript performance. It does not
                    attempt to measure overall browser performance. It does not look at
                    network efficiency, marshalling, rendering, layout, or any factor other
                    than the execution of JavaScript. Most web applications are DOM limited.
                    Such applications benefit little if at all from improved JavaScript
                    performance. The benefit of the new faster JavaScript engines is the
                    enabling of new kinds of applications.

                    The JSLint benchmark is 6.6KLOC. Ordinary benchmarks tend to be much
                    smaller. It does a good mix or regular expressions, string building
                    with + and join, and prototypal and functional patterns.

                    I was very surprised to see Chrome score at the bottom. My expectation
                    was that it would score at the top. I don't know why that was the case.
                  • Jean-Charles Meyrignac
                    Message 9 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
                      I'm sorry, but this is not an answer to my question.

                      How did you compute the benchmark ?

                      Did you run JSLint 10 times on every browser, removed the slowest and faster
                      runs, and computed the average of the remaining runs ? (I think that this is
                      the standard method to compute benchmarks).

                      Or did you run the program once, and just displayed the time it took to run
                      the program ?

                      Browsers tend to be slow when you start them, and Chrome is very slow when
                      you open a window (see how much memory it consumes !).
                      I guess also that their JS engine may be slower to generate assembly code,
                      but probably does a better job at optimizing it.
                      On the other hand, and I hope I'm not wrong, JSLint doesn't heavily execute
                      loops, so converting it to assembly code should not be very efficient.

                      Another thing is that, in order to appear fast, the browsers tend to redraw
                      the loaded page frequently, and this slows down the Javascript engine.

                      In the case of Chrome, the 2.801 seconds may be an artefact.

                      JC
                      (Not trying to defend Chrome, since I prefer Firefox !)

                      Message 10 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
                        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Charles Meyrignac <jcmeyrignac@...> wrote:

                        > I'm sorry, but this is not an answer to my question.
                        >
                        > How did you compute the benchmark ?
                        >
                        > Did you run JSLint 10 times on every browser, removed the slowest and faster
                        > runs, and computed the average of the remaining runs ? (I think that this is
                        > the standard method to compute benchmarks).
                        >
                        > Or did you run the program once, and just displayed the time it took to run
                        > the program ?
                        >
                        > Browsers tend to be slow when you start them, and Chrome is very slow when
                        > you open a window (see how much memory it consumes !).
                        > I guess also that their JS engine may be slower to generate assembly code,
                        > but probably does a better job at optimizing it.
                        > On the other hand, and I hope I'm not wrong, JSLint doesn't heavily execute
                        > loops, so converting it to assembly code should not be very efficient.
                        >
                        > Another thing is that, in order to appear fast, the browsers tend to redraw
                        > the loaded page frequently, and this slows down the Javascript engine.
                        >
                        > In the case of Chrome, the 2.801 seconds may be an artefact.

                        Try the experiment yourself.
                      • Jean-Charles Meyrignac
                        Message 11 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
                          Here are my timings, I have an old laptop with Windows 7 64-bits:

                          Firefox 4.0: 0.807 seconds
                          IE 9: 1.113 seconds
                          Chrome: 1.867 seconds

                          I guess that the rendering is slow, because the result page is large.

                          JC

                          Message 12 of 18 , Apr 21, 2011
                            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Charles Meyrignac <jcmeyrignac@...> wrote:

                            > Here are my timings, I have an old laptop with Windows 7 64-bits:
                            >
                            > Firefox 4.0: 0.807 seconds
                            > IE 9: 1.113 seconds
                            > Chrome: 1.867 seconds

                            That is in line with my results.

                            > I guess that the rendering is slow, because the result page is large.

                            Rendering is not a factor. It only measures JavaScript execution.
                            Chrome executes slower.