Re: [jslint] Re: Double Indentation (UNCLASSIFIED)

  • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6 7:39 AM
      Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
      That did not work. Go here instead:

      http://prettydiff.com/jslint_whitespace.txt

      Thanks,
      Austin Cheney, CISSP
      http://prettydiff.com/
      Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
    • Erik Eckhardt
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 6 9:33 AM
        That works to satisfy jslint, but if I'm chaining methods together then it
        gets a little weird:

        var z,
        i = $('<div></div>').css({
        width: '100%',
        height: '200px'
        }).append($('<p></p>')).css({
        color: 'blue'
        }),
        x,
        y;

        var z,
        i2 = $('<div></div>')
        .css({
        width: '100%',
        height: '200px'
        })
        .append($('<p></p>'))
        .css({
        color: 'blue'
        }),
        x,
        y;

        I like the second one better, despite how deep it gets, because it puts one
        chained method per line, at the beginning of the line. In the upper example,
        it makes it look like color: 'blue' is part of append, when it's not. Moving
        the .css({ to the next line after append now has some method lines starting
        with }) and some with . in an inconsistent fashion. The extra level of
        indentation keeps variable names at one indent and the method chaining in
        one so there's no confusion about what variable started the chaining.

        In the second example }) always ends a line and doesn't have a method coming
        after it. Methods are always introduced at the beginning of a line. It makes
        more sense to me.

        Douglas, what are you thoughts?

        Erik

        P.S. If the spaces didn't come through please let me know and I'll redo.

        On Wed, Apr 6, 2011 at 7:31 AM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC <
        austin.cheney@...> wrote:

        > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
        > The whitespace algorithm is not wrong in its error. The cause of your
        > problem is the ".css".
        > This this instead:
        >
        > var i = $('<p></p>').css({
        > width: '100%',
        > height: '200px'
        > }),
        > o = $('<div></div>').css({
        > position: 'absolute',
        > top: '0',
        > left: '0',
        > visibility: 'hidden',
        > width: '200px',
        > height: '150px',
        > overflow: 'hidden'
        > }),
        > w1,
        > h1,
        > w2,
        > h2;
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Austin Cheney, CISSP
        > http://prettydiff.com/
        > Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

      • Rob Richardson
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 6 9:51 AM
          Turn off strict white-space and JSLint won't annoy you in this way anymore.

          Rob