jslint as a CommonJS module

  • AJ ONeal
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 29, 2011
      Doug,

      I saw that someone tried to push a commit with the CommonJS export and it
      was rejected.

      However, since your JSLINT file can't be exported as a module there are at
      least 6 different node-xyz-jslint projects on github with over 24 forks.
      Can we discuss a simple change that would make your jslint a module and
      hence lead to less fragmentation in the community?

      Here's a decent, valid JavaScript solution that makes no crazy assumptions:

      var global = global || (function () { return this; }());
      (function () {
      "use strict";

      //
      // your current code as is
      //

      if (global.window) {
      global.window.JSLINT = JSLINT;
      }
      if (global.module) {
      global.module.exports = JSLINT;
      }
      }());

      Do you have a better suggestion?

      What would be acceptable to you?

      AJ ONeal

    • AJ ONeal
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 29, 2011
        And it would also be nice to have

        - a simple example jslint commandline utility for Node.JS
        - other examples for other interpreters
        - some example javascript files showing a suggested use for JSLINT and
        it's options

        Example of an Example:

        /*global global:false */
        var MYMODULE;
        (function () {
        "use strict";
        /*jslint bitwise: true*/

        function floor(num) {
        /*jslint bitwise: false*/
        return num >> 0;
        }

        MYMODULE = stringToZero
        if (global.module) {
        global.module = MYMODULE;
        }
        }());

        AJ ONeal

        On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 2:41 PM, AJ ONeal <coolaj86@...> wrote:

        > Doug,
        >
        > I saw that someone tried to push a commit with the CommonJS export and it
        > was rejected.
        >
        > However, since your JSLINT file can't be exported as a module there are at
        > least 6 different node-xyz-jslint projects on github with over 24 forks.
        > Can we discuss a simple change that would make your jslint a module and
        > hence lead to less fragmentation in the community?
        >
        > Here's a decent, valid JavaScript solution that makes no crazy assumptions:
        >
        > var global = global || (function () { return this; }());
        > (function () {
        > "use strict";
        >
        > //
        > // your current code as is
        > //
        >
        > if (global.window) {
        > global.window.JSLINT = JSLINT;
        > }
        > if (global.module) {
        > global.module.exports = JSLINT;
        > }
        > }());
        >
        > Do you have a better suggestion?
        >
        > What would be acceptable to you?
        >
        > AJ ONeal

      • AJ ONeal
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5, 2011
          Mr. Crockford,

          What's your stance on this?

          Are you opposed to making any changes at all or is this something that
          you're considering?