substring and substr

  • Jacob Davenport
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2008
      I notice that you recommend in your book not to use substring (and you
      don't even mention the deprecated substr) and to use slice instead. I
      have the dead tree version of JS:tGP, so I can't quickly search for
      those magical words "use YYY instead".

      Have you considered changing JSLint to offer such recommendations?
    • montago_2004
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 27, 2008
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Jacob Davenport" <jacob@...> wrote:

        > I notice that you recommend in your book not to use substring (and you
        > don't even mention the deprecated substr) and to use slice instead. I
        > have the dead tree version of JS:tGP, so I can't quickly search for
        > those magical words "use YYY instead".
        >
        > Have you considered changing JSLint to offer such recommendations?

        What also would be VERY nice, was warnings (AND I UTTERLY MEAN
        WARNING, NOT ERROR) - for any function/pattern which isn't
        crossbrowser friendly

        some methods are FF-only, some are Opera-only, some are IE-only etc...

        a helping hand would be nice...

        so "warning", not "error"