Allowing octal literals

  • Martin Cooper
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2011
      Working with Node.js (and probably other SSJS solutions), it's pretty
      common to find yourself working with the file system and using file
      permissions the natural way, in octal. Something like this:

      fs.mkdir(dirname, 0755, callback);

      However, JSLint complains about "Unexpected '0755'", presumably
      because it doesn't like octal.

      I've looked for a way to turn off complaints about this, but don't see
      one. Am I missing it?

      --
      Martin Cooper
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 26, 2011
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@...> wrote:

        > Working with Node.js (and probably other SSJS solutions), it's pretty
        > common to find yourself working with the file system and using file
        > permissions the natural way, in octal. Something like this:
        >
        > fs.mkdir(dirname, 0755, callback);
        >
        > However, JSLint complains about "Unexpected '0755'", presumably
        > because it doesn't like octal.
        >
        > I've looked for a way to turn off complaints about this, but don't see
        > one. Am I missing it?

        No. Try this:

        fs.mkdir(dirname, parseInt('755', 8), callback);

        Octal is really hazardous, and it is rarely useful. For those rare useful cases, it is worth it to work a little harder.