All beginners once...

  • Marc Draco
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2011
      This is a little O/T, sorry for that in advance.

      I agree with Douglas on pretty much everything (he's even helped to get
      me physically fitter!) with one notable exception. Over several years
      since I discovered it, JSLint has never hurt my feelings. It's made me
      say, "WTF?", "Bollocks!" and a lot worse more times than I can count
      and it's undoubtably made me a better JS programmer - so much so that
      it's now a language that I feel completely comfortable rather than
      awkward with.

      JSLint even made my scripts work with Internet Explorer - when they
      previously only worked with Firefox.

      Thanks to Mr Cheney's Prettydiff I can even produce reasonably formatted
      code without having to try too hard. (Every Little Helps, as the advert
      says). Thanks for that Austin.

      With that long preamble, I find myself wondering why some developers are
      so "rude" to mere mortals like me. I filed a bug elsewhere, unrelated to
      either of these excellent tools and felt immediately like I had crapped
      in someone's pantry: partly for being apparently ignorant of the "right"
      way to do something and partly for being there at all. I am still
      ignorant of what I was supposed to do - since the answers lacked clarity
      and I felt I was being pushed away like one might denigrate a homeless
      person.

      My feelings were not hurt, but my hackles were raised.

      This isn't a busy group, but there are people here who might be able to
      relate to this - and be able to remind other experts that not everyone
      shares the same expertise - and you have to understand the other guy's
      point before you shoot at him.

      I remain grateful to Doug and others here for keeping me sane in this
      weird world of Javascript... and Doug... perhaps a rider to your "hurt
      feelings" notice might be, (but it could make you a better programmer).

      Marc