SV: [jslint] Re: Final backslash to wrap strings seems unsupported by JSLint (UNCLASSIFIED)

  • Jakob Kruse
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21, 2011
      ”JavaScript: The Good Parts” is a recommended read which explains most of these issues. If that doesn’t do it for you, you could consider just accepting that doing things the way JSLint recommends decreases the likelihood of errors in your source code.

      Also, a JSLint “error” is often just a violation of the better way to do something. Do not confuse them with JavaScript errors.

      /Jakob

      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 21, 2011
        On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:52, Jakob Kruse <kruse@...> wrote:

        > ”JavaScript: The Good Parts” is a recommended read which explains most of
        > these issues.

        Yes, I have that book, it's how I learned JavaScript. Curiously, the book
        describes function statements as one of the "Bad Parts", yet JSLint itself
        uses that syntax...

        mathew

      • Erik Eckhardt
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 21, 2011
          Jakob,

          In my opinion, "just do what you're told" is really poor advice. This kind
          of mentality is exactly what has caused legions of people to propagate bad
          programming practices for decades. Someone gets an idea about "that's just
          the WAY you DO it" and it's all over after that. Systems Hungarian Notation,
          whatever.

          If you want to change the way programmers code, you have to change the way
          they think. This won't be accomplished by "I told you so." If you want them
          to be deliberate about choosing their methods and you want them to be able
          to recognize new things that you've never taught them before, it won't come
          through enforcing a list of rules.

          I greatly appreciate Douglas's work and the jslint tool. But I think his
          attitude when responding to folks who aren't "up to his level" is a little
          lacking. When I came here and asked a question about `continue`--which I HAD
          searched the internet for and read up on as much as I could--after an
          initial "you shouldn't do that" I never heard from Douglas again even after
          asking him a direct question, hoping to understand his rationale.

          What a waste! Here we have a programmer ready to have his mind filled with
          supposedly Good Stuff and mostly all he got was Don't Do That,
          Dummy--Douglas Has Spoken.

          Douglas, I for one bristle a bit at being told to be quiet and obey. If your
          goal is improving people's coding, you missed your chance with me by not
          being willing to engage me a bit. What are your reasons for providing JSLint
          at all? If your goal is to help propagate good code practices in the world,
          it is not being done in the most effective way. Being abrupt and
          short-tempered may not put off the really dedicated aficionados, but why
          offend people when you could be winning their minds and hearts instead?

          If you don't want to spend the time helping every person who might possibly
          have a question, then exactly what was asked for seems the most efficient
          way to impart the information: provide individual explanations of each issue
          with examples of why it is harmful to do otherwise. You could even make it a
          wiki-style thing open to only approved members from the JSLint list. Then
          your conversations wouldn't just be lost to the jslint archives but encoded
          into relevant and easy-to-access instructions to the unwashed masses...
          helping them to wash their javascript just a little bit.

          Erik

          On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 8:52 AM, Jakob Kruse <kruse@...> wrote:

          > �JavaScript: The Good Parts� is a recommended read which explains most of
          > these issues. If that doesn�t do it for you, you could consider just
          > accepting that doing things the way JSLint recommends decreases the
          > likelihood of errors in your source code.
          >
          > Also, a JSLint �error� is often just a violation of the better way to do
          > something. Do not confuse them with JavaScript errors.
          >
          > /Jakob

        • Jakob Kruse
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 21, 2011
            Erik,

            If you'd care to read my reply, you would see that my advice was to read a book. I did. It answered most of the questions I've seen asked on this list.

            Would it be better if the contents of that book was available online, and the relevant parts were hyperlinked from every JSLint message? Certainly! But would you have done that, had you been the author?

            I've been using JSLint *a lot* for several years. I can honestly say that you will benefit by just doing as it recommends. Even when you disagree or don't understand. I'm not advising that you do this blindly, by all means please make an effort to understand why. But even if you don't understand the advice of JSLint, and Douglas is not forthcoming with yet another explanation, it's still good advice. That was all I meant.

            That said, a wiki or stack exchange or something for a JSLint FAQ would be a really nice addition. But I can't claim to provide that level of support for the stuff I give away.

          • Luke Page
            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 22, 2011
              I think a wiki would be useful and agree that sometimes the error messages
              are a bit obscure to the problem - but often it has led me to really look at
              the code, consider it and think about it rather than seeing a simple �do
              this instead� type error message.

              The other problem when writing a parser and error checker is that it is
              easier to test if something is right than try to consider all the many, many
              ways that people could write the code badly and then give truly appropriate
              advice.
              Having said that, there are a few small areas of JSLint I disagree with -
              but rather than make a long email about them, I take the fact that overall
              it has a very positive effect on code I run it against.