Re: [feature-request] Browser-support based option groups

  • Kai
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2008
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Hughitt"

      > Some of the things checked against are there because they are known
      > cause problems with certain browsers. It would be useful to have a
      > button like "IE6+, Firefox 1.5+..etc" which when checked, selects
      all
      > the options that should be considered in order to be fairly certain
      > the code will behave well in those browsers.

      I don't like that idea. JS in web context is for all browsers. There
      is either "good" JS following certain rules (which ones might be a
      different topic) or "bad" JS voilating them. What's the use of JSLint
      not complaining about bad code that is fatal to FF or any other
      browser just because user marked "IE6+" checkbox only?
      This option would create a rope of sand

      (rope if sand is a suggestion of my online translator, dunno if it's
      correct) What it means is a felt reliability that isn't really there
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22, 2008
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Kai" <blafasel@...> wrote:
        > I don't like that idea. JS in web context is for all browsers. There
        > is either "good" JS following certain rules (which ones might be a
        > different topic) or "bad" JS voilating them. What's the use of JSLint
        > not complaining about bad code that is fatal to FF or any other
        > browser just because user marked "IE6+" checkbox only?
        > This option would create a rope of sand
        >
        > (rope if sand is a suggestion of my online translator, dunno if it's
        > correct) What it means is a felt reliability that isn't really there

        I like "rope of sand". That is a good metaphor.