[feature-request] Browser-support based option groups

  • Keith Hughitt
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 22, 2008
      Hi,

      I had a suggestion for a feature for JSLint that I feel would be
      pretty useful.

      In addition to the options groups ("Good parts" and "Recommended"),
      would it be possible to add a couple more groups based off the types
      of browsers you would like to support?

      Some of the things checked against are there because they are known to
      cause problems with certain browsers. It would be useful to have a
      button like "IE6+, Firefox 1.5+..etc" which when checked, selects all
      the options that should be considered in order to be fairly certain
      the code will behave well in those browsers.

      Just a thought.

      Thanks for the great work that has been done with JSLint :)
      Keith
    • Kai
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 22, 2008
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Keith Hughitt"

        > Some of the things checked against are there because they are known
        > cause problems with certain browsers. It would be useful to have a
        > button like "IE6+, Firefox 1.5+..etc" which when checked, selects
        all
        > the options that should be considered in order to be fairly certain
        > the code will behave well in those browsers.

        I don't like that idea. JS in web context is for all browsers. There
        is either "good" JS following certain rules (which ones might be a
        different topic) or "bad" JS voilating them. What's the use of JSLint
        not complaining about bad code that is fatal to FF or any other
        browser just because user marked "IE6+" checkbox only?
        This option would create a rope of sand

        (rope if sand is a suggestion of my online translator, dunno if it's
        correct) What it means is a felt reliability that isn't really there
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 22, 2008
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Kai" <blafasel@...> wrote:
          > I don't like that idea. JS in web context is for all browsers. There
          > is either "good" JS following certain rules (which ones might be a
          > different topic) or "bad" JS voilating them. What's the use of JSLint
          > not complaining about bad code that is fatal to FF or any other
          > browser just because user marked "IE6+" checkbox only?
          > This option would create a rope of sand
          >
          > (rope if sand is a suggestion of my online translator, dunno if it's
          > correct) What it means is a felt reliability that isn't really there

          I like "rope of sand". That is a good metaphor.