Re: ANN: JSLint Reporter (Node.js wrapper)

  • Merlin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 27, 2011
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Frederik Dohr <fdg001@...> wrote:

      > Here's yet another[1] JSLint wrapper for command-line enthusiasts.

      > Since folks here are very good at uncovering unexpected behavior, I'd
      > greatly appreciate some feedback.

      It would be good if it were possible to set options off with something like:

      node wrapper.js --goodparts --nomen=false example.js .

      That would obviate the need to list all of the good options bar one.

      Also something like:

      node wrapper.js --predef "window, ..." test.js

      to be able to set predefined items.

      Harry.
    • Frederik Dohr
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 28, 2011
        > It would be good if it were possible to set options off with
        > something like:
        > node wrapper.js --goodparts --nomen=false example.js .
        > That would obviate the need to list all of the good options bar one.

        That seems like a reasonable thing to do. It'll require a slightly
        different approach to parsing command-line arguments though - I'll look
        into that next week. (While there are plenty of option parsers for
        Node.js, I was trying to avoid external dependencies.)

        > Also something like:
        > node wrapper.js --predef "window, ..." test.js
        > to be able to set predefined items.

        Indeed, predef is currently unsupported - I suspect this will fall out
        of the refactoring above.

        FWIW, I'm also planning to add an --upgrade option to grab the latest
        version of fulljslint.js, thus rendering the makefile obsolete (cf.
        external dependencies).

        -- F.
      • Merlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 28, 2011
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Frederik Dohr <fdg001@...> wrote:

          > > It would be good if it were possible to set options off with
          > > something like:
          > > node wrapper.js --goodparts --nomen=false example.js .
          > > That would obviate the need to list all of the good options bar one.
          >
          > That seems like a reasonable thing to do. It'll require a slightly
          > different approach to parsing command-line arguments though - I'll look
          > into that next week. (While there are plenty of option parsers for
          > Node.js, I was trying to avoid external dependencies.)

          The conventions on Unix for "negative" options have always been a bit quaint.
          However, I would guess that you could do something like:

          node wrapper.js --goodparts -nomen example.js (note single minus sign on nomen)

          fairly easily, without having to use an external parser. It would seem odd to use +nomen
          to turn the option off.

          > > Also something like:
          > > node wrapper.js --predef "window, ..." test.js
          > > to be able to set predefined items.
          >
          > Indeed, predef is currently unsupported - I suspect this will fall out
          > of the refactoring above.
          >
          > FWIW, I'm also planning to add an --upgrade option to grab the latest
          > version of fulljslint.js, thus rendering the makefile obsolete (cf.
          > external dependencies).

          That is an excellent idea. Ideally you should limit how often you upgrade to save load on the servers. In my Widget Tester Widget, I pull the JSLint file no more than once a day.

          Harry.
        • Frederik Dohr
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
            I've just added an --upgrade option, so there's no need for the makefile
            anymore; simply run `node wrapper.js --upgrade` to download the latest
            version of JSLint:
            https://github.com/FND/jslint-reporter

            I'll revisit option parsing in the next few days.

            > The conventions on Unix for "negative" options have always been a
            > bit quaint. However, I would guess that you could do something like:
            > node wrapper.js --goodparts -nomen example.js (note single minus sign
            > on nomen)

            I don't like the potential confusion of single vs. double dashes.
            Instead, I'll probably go with "--no-<option>" or "--<option>=false"
            (the latter would be consistent with something like --predef="...").

            > That is an excellent idea. Ideally you should limit how often you
            > upgrade to save load on the servers.

            I expect --upgrade to be a manual operation, performed by the user every
            couple of days/weeks.

            > Do please consider the security aspects. [...] It *is* possible to
            > run JavaScript code sandboxed in Node. Maybe you should consider
            > that, instead of the module approach.

            While I understand and appreciate your concern, I'm not too worried
            about this myself. However, I would be very happy to accept patches.

            -- F.