Re: ANN: JSLint Reporter (Node.js wrapper)

  • Merlin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2011
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Frederik Dohr <fdg001@...> wrote:
      > Here's yet another[1] JSLint wrapper for command-line enthusiasts.

      Rather than using fulljslint.js, why not use the minified version from

      http://www.JSLint.com/jslint.js ?

      Harry.
    • Frederik Dohr
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 26, 2011
        > Rather than using fulljslint.js, why not use the minified version
        > from http://www.JSLint.com/jslint.js ?

        Well, given that HTTP overhead is not a concern in this context, I don't
        see any benefit in using the minified version.

        Having said that, it's probably best to use jslint.com/fulljslint.js
        rather than GitHub, as that seems like the canonical URL.

        -- F.
      • Merlin
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 27, 2011
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Frederik Dohr <fdg001@...> wrote:

          > Here's yet another[1] JSLint wrapper for command-line enthusiasts.

          > Since folks here are very good at uncovering unexpected behavior, I'd
          > greatly appreciate some feedback.

          It would be good if it were possible to set options off with something like:

          node wrapper.js --goodparts --nomen=false example.js .

          That would obviate the need to list all of the good options bar one.

          Also something like:

          node wrapper.js --predef "window, ..." test.js

          to be able to set predefined items.

          Harry.
        • Frederik Dohr
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 28, 2011
            > It would be good if it were possible to set options off with
            > something like:
            > node wrapper.js --goodparts --nomen=false example.js .
            > That would obviate the need to list all of the good options bar one.

            That seems like a reasonable thing to do. It'll require a slightly
            different approach to parsing command-line arguments though - I'll look
            into that next week. (While there are plenty of option parsers for
            Node.js, I was trying to avoid external dependencies.)

            > Also something like:
            > node wrapper.js --predef "window, ..." test.js
            > to be able to set predefined items.

            Indeed, predef is currently unsupported - I suspect this will fall out
            of the refactoring above.

            FWIW, I'm also planning to add an --upgrade option to grab the latest
            version of fulljslint.js, thus rendering the makefile obsolete (cf.
            external dependencies).

            -- F.
          • Merlin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 28, 2011
              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Frederik Dohr <fdg001@...> wrote:

              > > It would be good if it were possible to set options off with
              > > something like:
              > > node wrapper.js --goodparts --nomen=false example.js .
              > > That would obviate the need to list all of the good options bar one.
              >
              > That seems like a reasonable thing to do. It'll require a slightly
              > different approach to parsing command-line arguments though - I'll look
              > into that next week. (While there are plenty of option parsers for
              > Node.js, I was trying to avoid external dependencies.)

              The conventions on Unix for "negative" options have always been a bit quaint.
              However, I would guess that you could do something like:

              node wrapper.js --goodparts -nomen example.js (note single minus sign on nomen)

              fairly easily, without having to use an external parser. It would seem odd to use +nomen
              to turn the option off.

              > > Also something like:
              > > node wrapper.js --predef "window, ..." test.js
              > > to be able to set predefined items.
              >
              > Indeed, predef is currently unsupported - I suspect this will fall out
              > of the refactoring above.
              >
              > FWIW, I'm also planning to add an --upgrade option to grab the latest
              > version of fulljslint.js, thus rendering the makefile obsolete (cf.
              > external dependencies).

              That is an excellent idea. Ideally you should limit how often you upgrade to save load on the servers. In my Widget Tester Widget, I pull the JSLint file no more than once a day.

              Harry.
            • Frederik Dohr
              Message 6 of 7 , Feb 2, 2011
                I've just added an --upgrade option, so there's no need for the makefile
                anymore; simply run `node wrapper.js --upgrade` to download the latest
                version of JSLint:
                https://github.com/FND/jslint-reporter

                I'll revisit option parsing in the next few days.

                > The conventions on Unix for "negative" options have always been a
                > bit quaint. However, I would guess that you could do something like:
                > node wrapper.js --goodparts -nomen example.js (note single minus sign
                > on nomen)

                I don't like the potential confusion of single vs. double dashes.
                Instead, I'll probably go with "--no-<option>" or "--<option>=false"
                (the latter would be consistent with something like --predef="...").

                > That is an excellent idea. Ideally you should limit how often you
                > upgrade to save load on the servers.

                I expect --upgrade to be a manual operation, performed by the user every
                couple of days/weeks.

                > Do please consider the security aspects. [...] It *is* possible to
                > run JavaScript code sandboxed in Node. Maybe you should consider
                > that, instead of the module approach.

                While I understand and appreciate your concern, I'm not too worried
                about this myself. However, I would be very happy to accept patches.

                -- F.