Problems with immediately invoked function expressions

  • Jim Auldridge
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
      Can anyone tell me why the code in this paste:
      http://pastie.textmate.org/private/gd8xrctmenh3qu2jrxintq
      generates these errors:

      Problem at line 7 character 1: Expected ';' and instead saw '}'.

      }() );

      Problem at line 7 character 2: Unreachable '(' after 'return'.

      }() );

      Problem at line 7 character 3: Expected an identifier and instead saw ')'.

      }() );

      Problem at line 7 character 3: Stopping, unable to continue. (100% scanned).

      Thanks,
      Jim

      --
      Jim Auldridge
      11012 Lincoln Ave

    • Jim Auldridge
      Message 2 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
        Sorry--to clarify, I have Strict whitespace unchecked, and indent set to 0

        Thanks,
        Jim

        --
        Jim Auldridge
        11012 Lincoln Ave

        Message 3 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jim Auldridge <auldridgej@...> wrote:

          > Can anyone tell me why the code in this paste:
          > http://pastie.textmate.org/private/gd8xrctmenh3qu2jrxintq
          > generates these errors:
          >
          > Problem at line 7 character 1: Expected ';' and instead saw '}'.
          >
          > }() );

          Did you try to insert the missing semicolon where JSLint recommended?
        • Jim Auldridge
          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
            Groooan, I'm so sorry for wasting your time. I needed the semicolon after
            the returned anon-function--I was looking below.

            Thanks for cluing me into JSLints already clear clue *roll eyes at self*

            Jim

          • abyssoft@ymail.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
              Return statements should terminate in a ;

              var foo = ( function()
              {
              return function()
              {
              window.alert( 'bar' );
              }; <---
              }() );

              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jim Auldridge <auldridgej@...> wrote:

              > Can anyone tell me why the code in this paste:
              > http://pastie.textmate.org/private/gd8xrctmenh3qu2jrxintq
              > generates these errors:
              >
              > Problem at line 7 character 1: Expected ';' and instead saw '}'.
              >
              > }() );
              >
              > Problem at line 7 character 2: Unreachable '(' after 'return'.
              >
              > }() );
              >
              > Problem at line 7 character 3: Expected an identifier and instead saw ')'.
              >
              > }() );
              >
              > Problem at line 7 character 3: Stopping, unable to continue. (100% scanned).
              >

              > Thanks,
              > Jim
              >
              > --
              > Jim Auldridge
              > 11012 Lincoln Ave
              > Hagerstown MD 21740
              > 240.520.0240 (m)
              > auldridgej@...
              > http://jaaulde.com

            • Jim Auldridge
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 26, 2011
                Indeed, I am a bonehead. Thanks!

                On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 2:18 PM, abyssoft@... <abyssoft@...>wrote:

                > Return statements should terminate in a ;
                >
                > var foo = ( function()
                > {
                > return function()
                > {
                > window.alert( 'bar' );
                > }; <---
                > }() );
                >

                > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, Jim
                > Auldridge <auldridgej@...> wrote:
                > >
                > > Can anyone tell me why the code in this paste:
                > > http://pastie.textmate.org/private/gd8xrctmenh3qu2jrxintq
                > > generates these errors:
                > >
                > > Problem at line 7 character 1: Expected ';' and instead saw '}'.
                > >
                > > }() );
                > >
                > > Problem at line 7 character 2: Unreachable '(' after 'return'.
                > >
                > > }() );
                > >
                > > Problem at line 7 character 3: Expected an identifier and instead saw
                > ')'.
                > >
                > > }() );
                > >
                > > Problem at line 7 character 3: Stopping, unable to continue. (100%
                > scanned).
                > >

                > > Thanks,
                > > Jim
                > >
                > > --