Re: [jslint] Re: Spacing Bug (UNCLASSIFIED)

  • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2011
      Classification: UNCLASSIFIED

      > > column 5 is the correct column
      >
      > I recommend that you take JSLint's advice.

      In Mr. Crockford's defense his advise has always served me well in the past. I presume this alteration prevents some bug associated with terminating a line with a comma. I have updated my own application to support this change in JSLint. You can now beautify your code in conformance to the JSLint change at http://prettydiff.com/. The API will not be updated until I can restart the service later tonight.

      In defense of everyone else this change to the white space algorithm makes my code strikingly difficult to read by forcing variable names of anonymous function assignment off their own lines. This latest version of JSLint also crashes my Firefox when I input the minified form of my application and turn off "Strict white space". Firefox is notorious for intentionally crashing itself when a potentially catastrophic security flaw is detected, which may or may not be the case here. I have attempted this same test in IE7, and the browser does not crash, but it does lock up. I cannot tell if this is because IE7 is so damn slow or if it is permanently locked. I waited for 5 minutes and chose to wait no more.

      Austin Cheney, CISSP
      http://prettydiff.com/
      Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2011
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC" <austin.cheney@...> wrote:

        > In defense of everyone else this change to the white space algorithm makes my code strikingly difficult to read by forcing variable names of anonymous function assignment off their own lines.

        If you don't like the feature, then turn it off. It is optional, and off by default.