Re: Fast fixing for JSLint

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 9, 2011
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "aceblchboy" <aceblchboy@...> wrote:

      > What tools / do you use to quickly fix JS code up to satisfy JSLint's warnings and errors?
      >
      > First I test the code's parsability, if I can get to the end of the code without an error, it's good to go. This is much harder to do these days, with more stopping errors.
      >
      > Without concern for code formatting:
      > I use closure compiler whitespace + pretty print mode to fix missing brackets. The drawback is that it eats empty constructor brackets, optional semicolons, breaks up else if the hard way (becomes } else { if), and completely reformats the code. One advantage of this is that it reformats quotation marks for consistency and precomputes some math constants.
      >
      > I then fill the missing semicolons with jsutility.pjoneil.net (JSLint derived). The drawback here is that it also completely reformats your code.
      >
      > I beautify it with jsbeautifier, and hunt down the less noisier warnings.
      >
      > With concern for formatting:
      > I have JSLint parse the code and look for missing semicolons, and fill those in by hand.
      >
      > I have jsbeautifier beautify the code with indentation to match the document's formatting and preserve lines. This makes if\for\while (\(.*\)) (\w.*;)$ -> if\for\while \1 {\2} a fast bracket fix with another beautification. Then targeting the other warnings.
      >
      > I think i'll grab a previous version of JSLint since there are now so many error stops over what were previously simple issues.

      I think you would do better to fix your code.

      I don't recommend automating correction because of the likelihood of automatic bug insertion. Using JSLint with an IDE seems to be the best alternative.
    • Graham King
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 9, 2011
        On 9 January 2011 00:46, aceblchboy <aceblchboy@...> wrote:

        > What tools / do you use to quickly fix JS code up to satisfy JSLint's
        > warnings and errors?
        >
        > I use lintswitch (https://github.com/grahamking/lintswitch) to watch my
        code, run jslint in the background, alert me of any errors, and display
        warnings on the root window. It's a bash script that wires together inotify,
        jslint, and imagemagick for output. Only tested on Ubuntu / Gnome. I'm lucky
        enough not to have any legacy JS to maintain, so I fix the errors by hand.