Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: The validator does not validate

Expand Messages
  • abyssoft@ymail.com
    ... changing line 5450 from predefined[ eval ] = to predefined[[ e , v , a , l ].join( )] = Fixes the need for evil : false No longer any strict violations
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 7, 2010
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "abyssoft@..." <abyssoft@...> wrote:
      >
      >
      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "abyssoft@" <abyssoft@> wrote:
      > I've always found, the fact that the validator's code fails to validate to be entertaining in strange and perverse way. And the fact that it is minified as a simple form of obfuscation, when minification is no longer needed given that most data pipes can handle the larger files.
      > some of the points it appears to fail
      > usage of eval usage of ++ and -- in some implementations
      > usage of "use strict";
      > while containing Strict violations
      > having Empty blocks
      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "abyssoft@" <abyssoft@> wrote:
      >
      > Quick clarification
      >
      > "without fudging" on points that Douglas vehemently says we should not use.
      >

      changing line 5450 from
      predefined['eval'] =
      to
      predefined[["e", "v", "a", "l"].join("")] =

      Fixes the need for evil : false
      No longer any strict violations in most recent upload of fulljslint.js

      8D

      Would still like to see usage of ^ regex operator removed from lines 953, 958, and 1033 as it is recommended against use,
      or at least rational for use in comment.

      Quick side question,

      document.defaultView === window //for the major Non IE browsers

      What is the equivalent for IE? as window is not defined when one picks browser : true
    • Douglas Crockford
      ... Of course I am not going to take your advice because it would stupid to, which perhaps was your point. JSLint should be run against source code, not
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 7, 2010
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "abyssoft@..." <abyssoft@...> wrote:

        > changing line 5450 from
        > predefined['eval'] =
        > to
        > predefined[["e", "v", "a", "l"].join("")] =


        Of course I am not going to take your advice because it would stupid to, which perhaps was your point.

        JSLint should be run against source code, not minified code. If you can find an example of a bug that is in JSLint that JSLint should have been able to detect, I would be very happy to hear about it.
      • abyssoft@ymail.com
        ... Douglas, that was indeed my point. A little extra background, I was running fulljslint.js un-minified as the source through itself, when I saw that no more
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 8, 2010
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
          >
          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "abyssoft@" <abyssoft@> wrote:
          >
          > > changing line 5450 from
          > > predefined['eval'] =
          > > to
          > > predefined[["e", "v", "a", "l"].join("")] =
          >
          >
          > Of course I am not going to take your advice because it would stupid to, which perhaps was your point.
          >
          > JSLint should be run against source code, not minified code. If you can find an example of a bug that is in JSLint that JSLint should have been able to detect, I would be very happy to hear about it.
          >

          Douglas, that was indeed my point.

          A little extra background, I was running fulljslint.js un-minified as the source through itself, when I saw that no more strict issues remained which was quite nice.

          As for the ^ (not) operator is the mentioning that it is unsafe more of a piece of advice for the novice to regex or more of a concrete rule? I've been playing with regex for a while now and find the ^ (not) operator quite useful and so typically have regexp:false.
        Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.