Re: [jslint] Re: Try to use a single 'var' statement per scope.

  • Arthur Blake
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 14, 2008
      I think he's trying to ask if it is better to use this form:

      var x,y,z;

      versus

      var x;
      var y;
      var z;

      My opinion is yes, because it makes the script smaller and also could help reinforce the fact that the var keyword is only at function scope.

      On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 11:33 AM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:

      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Lorrain" <yahoo@...> wrote:
      > Is it a good practice to try to use a single 'var' statement per scope?
      > For sure it help the compression of the script.
      > If it's a best practice can an option in JSLint generate a warning.
      >
      > I'm using yuicompressor-2.3.5.jar to compress my scripts and this tool
      > typically return such kind of warning:
      >
      > [WARNING] Try to use a single 'var' statement per scope.
      > ?e.innerText:e.text; ---> var <--- ttl="";if(myText){ttl

      I don't understand this.

      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 14, 2008
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Blake" <arthur.blake@...>
        wrote:

        > I think he's trying to ask if it is better to use this form:
        >
        > var x,y,z;
        >
        > versus
        >
        > var x;
        > var y;
        > var z;
        >
        > My opinion is yes, because it makes the script smaller and also
        could help
        > reinforce the fact that the var keyword is only at function scope.

        Thanks, I get it now. I think it is a good suggestion.
      • Fred Lorrain
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 18, 2008
          wrote:

          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Arthur Blake" <arthur.blake@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > I think he's trying to ask if it is better to use this form:
          > >
          > > var x,y,z;
          > >
          > > versus
          > >
          > > var x;
          > > var y;
          > > var z;
          > >
          > > My opinion is yes, because it makes the script smaller and also
          > could help
          > > reinforce the fact that the var keyword is only at function scope.
          >
          > Thanks, I get it now. I think it is a good suggestion.

          The new 'onevar' option can now be used to that