Re: The symbol XXX is declared but is apparently never used.

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 14 8:35 AM
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Lorrain" <yahoo@...> wrote:

      > Hello,
      >
      > JSLint generate an error if a symbol is not declared.
      > That's perfect!
      >
      > What about generating a warning if a symbol is declared but never used?
      > A switch to turn off this option is welcome too.
      >
      > I'm using yuicompressor-2.3.5.jar to compress my scripts and this tool
      > typically generate such kind of message:
      >
      > [WARNING] The symbol myTH is declared but is apparently never used.
      > This code can probably be written in a more compact way.
      > ,myThead=null,myTfoot=null, ---> myTH <---
      > =null,myDiv=null;this.splitTable

      JSLint does identify unused variables in the function report. Is hat
      not enough?
    • Fred Lorrain
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15 7:53 AM
        wrote:

        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Lorrain" <yahoo@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hello,
        > >
        > > JSLint generate an error if a symbol is not declared.
        > > That's perfect!
        > >
        > > What about generating a warning if a symbol is declared but never
        used?
        > > A switch to turn off this option is welcome too.
        > >
        > > I'm using yuicompressor-2.3.5.jar to compress my scripts and this tool
        > > typically generate such kind of message:
        > >
        > > [WARNING] The symbol myTH is declared but is apparently never used.
        > > This code can probably be written in a more compact way.
        > > ,myThead=null,myTfoot=null, ---> myTH <---
        > > =null,myDiv=null;this.splitTable
        >
        > JSLint does identify unused variables in the function report. Is hat
        > not enough?

        It's fine to have it in the report (I haven't seen it) but imagine I
        have 100 methods in my object.
        For every unused symbol I will have to track the method name and then
        search for the symbol.

        If you can at least add the line number in the report it will really help.
      • Fred Lorrain
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 18 11:53 PM
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Lorrain" <yahoo@...> wrote:

          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Fred Lorrain" <yahoo@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Hello,
          > > >
          > > > JSLint generate an error if a symbol is not declared.
          > > > That's perfect!
          > > >
          > > > What about generating a warning if a symbol is declared but never
          > used?
          > > > A switch to turn off this option is welcome too.
          > > >
          > > > I'm using yuicompressor-2.3.5.jar to compress my scripts and
          this tool
          > > > typically generate such kind of message:
          > > >
          > > > [WARNING] The symbol myTH is declared but is apparently never used.
          > > > This code can probably be written in a more compact way.
          > > > ,myThead=null,myTfoot=null, ---> myTH <---
          > > > =null,myDiv=null;this.splitTable
          > >
          > > JSLint does identify unused variables in the function report. Is hat
          > > not enough?
          > >

          > It's fine to have it in the report (I haven't seen it) but imagine I
          > have 100 methods in my object.
          > For every unused symbol I will have to track the method name and then
          > search for the symbol.
          >
          > If you can at least add the line number in the report it will really
          help.

          In the new release of JSLint the symbol report has been improved to
          highlight unused symbols.