Re: [jslint] Re: Filtered for...in

  • Marcel Duran
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010

      > Given the importance of JSLint, and the issues surrounding the "continue"
      > statement, I opine that JSLint should not promote "continue" in any context.
      >
      > - Chris

      +1

      --
      Marcel Duran

      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 21, 2010
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Duran <contact@...> wrote:

        > > Given the importance of JSLint, and the issues surrounding the "continue"
        > > statement, I opine that JSLint should not promote "continue" in any context.
        > >
        > > - Chris
        > >
        > +1
        >
        > --
        > Marcel Duran

        I too agree that it should not be encouraged. I'm also a subscriber to the one exit point methodology/style as well. Multiple exit points tends to lead to spaghettification.
      • Erik Eckhardt
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 21, 2010
          *Edward*,

          You are right that votes don't make something right. It is also true that
          when we are talking in the area of style, the opinion of a great quantity
          professionals (or at least nontrivial enthusiasts) is of some weight. And
          that you deleted your Stack Overflow account in late spring doesn't mean you
          are right, either. :)

          >> Since you are not wanting to exit the loop it would make more sense to
          plan around that condition where you do exit prematurely thereby negating
          the use of continue.

          This makes no sense. I don't want to *terminate* the loop (that would be
          "break"). I want to go to the next invocation/cycle/loop. Why should I plan
          around exiting prematurely when I don't want to do so?

          *Chris Nielsen*,

          >> Given the potential issues with "continue," I am not convinced that
          JSLint should suggest its use, particularly when the current solution
          functions perfectly well.

          I am completely with you about not *suggesting* the use of 'continue'. No
          one said anything about that. Instead, I asked for it to be *allowed*.

          Detecting that a 'continue' does in fact filter a for...in loop is far from
          promoting its use. The decision to not complain about continue was made on
          jslint some time ago. Until that decision is changed, why penalize for it?
          And if the decision IS changed, and the warning against the use of
          'continue' is given its own option to turn it off, we'd still be in the same
          position of getting an error about unfiltered for...in even though warnings
          on 'continue' have been suppressed. That means to me that jslint is broken.

          Filtering and the use of 'continue' are two completely separate issues. If
          someone doesn't like continue, great. But for cryin' out loud, it DOES
          filter a for...in loop!

          >> I am happy to avoid use of "continue" unless it offers a clear
          improvement. I don't see such an improvement in this case.

          If you wish to avoid it, more power to you. But you also said that you agree
          it's purely a stylistic consideration. Given that even though you don't
          personally see a clear improvement, I do see one, so what is the harm in
          allowing me my preference?

          Programmers sure are an opinionated bunch (not excluding self)!

          Erik