Re: [jslint] Re: Filtered for...in

  • Marcel Duran
    Message 1 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
      Here's an old function from a greasemonkey script I wrote a few years ago
      that uses label and break instead of a bunch of control variables to
      properly break the outer loop when searching for selectors in stylesheets:

      var changeCSS = function (selector, property, value) {
      var i, j, lenR, rules, found,
      doc = document,
      styleSheets = doc.styleSheets,
      lenS = styleSheets.length,
      jsProperty = property.replace(/-([\s\S])/g, function () {
      return arguments[1].toUpperCase();
      });

      // get selector and add/change style
      css:
      for (i = 0; i < lenS; i += 1) {
      rules = styleSheets[i].cssRules;
      for (j = 0, lenR = rules.length; j < lenR; j += 1) {
      if (rules[j].selectorText === selector) {
      found = true;
      rules[j].style[jsProperty] = value;
      break css;

      // add selector when not found
      if (!found) {
      styleSheets[i - 1].insertRule(selector + '{' + property + ':' +
      value + ';}', j - 1);

      And it's JSLint approved.

      Marcel

      On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Michael Mikowski <z_mikowski@...>wrote:

      > Actually, Douglas,
      >
      > My standards do follow your recommendations about filtering; unfortunately,
      > the
      > example I contrived does not.
      > The intent there was to show the use of a label for continue and break. It
      > was
      > another poster who wanted to use continue as a filter method.
      >
      > Someone else mentioned that "goto is evil". Yes, but the labels are not
      > intended for use with goto. They are intended to mark a loop so that if one
      >
      > uses continue or break, its obvious what control structure is affected.
      >
      > Cheers, Mike
      >

      > ________________________________

      Marcel Duran

    • Erik Eckhardt
      Message 2 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
        Douglas,

        The only thing I could find about continue related to jslint was a
        one-liner:

        Avoid use of the continue statement. It tends to obscure the control flow of
        the function.

        In the case that I described (filtering a for...in loop at the top), I think
        the continue statement does the opposite: it makes clearer the purpose and
        control flow of the function. Instead of a person having to scan to the
        bottom of a potentially lengthy 'if' block to see whether there is an 'else'
        statement, he can see right away that no other code is executed and why.

        Since there is no security issue and no clearly objective measure that makes
        the continue statement always wrong (thus use of the word "tends'), would
        you consider adding support for detecting the continue statement as a valid
        filtering of for...in?

        It isn't anything like, say, leaving semicolons out. Try to minify script
        that's missing semicolons and you might bash your knuckles.

        Erik

        On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Erik Eckhardt <erik@...> wrote:

        > Could you elaborate on that? I'd love to get on the bandwagon but don't
        > know why you would say that.
        >

        > On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...
        > > wrote:
        >
        >> I do not recommend use of continue. JSLint currently barely tolerates
        >> it.

      • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
        Message 3 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
          Erik,

          The problem with the continue statement is that its use obscures logic. It is clear that a loop will break or it is endless. An endless loop is considered a broken program. Since a correct loop will end what is important is if it ends at the defined point of termination or if the loop ends prematurely. The continue statement does nothing to make this more clear and instead confuses the interpretation of potential break points. The break statement, conversely, is absolutely imperative to this clarity. Premature loop termination is absolutely essential to certain operations where the variable representing the looping index is used in closure, because then that variable can be used against the stated loop length to derive conditional conclusions outside of a containing function.

          In other words the continue statement can always be mitigated through the use of more sturdy logic while its use can confuse other logic that is essential not open to mitigation. Therefore, it is in your best interest to not use the continue statement. Additionally, if you are assigning a variable set in closure representing any of the three object types in a condition containing a continue statement you are likely opening a covert channel in your code, which is a potential security weakness if your code is complex enough to contain multiple points of disparate execution.

          If you post an example of JavaScript using the continue statement I can show how to mitigate its use.

          Austin Cheney, CISSP
          http://prettydiff.com/
        • Erik Eckhardt
          Message 4 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
            Austin,

            The example was:

            for (name in obj) {
            if (!obj.hasOwnProperty(name)) {continue;}

            In my opinion this is little different than this greatly-upvoted Stack
            Overflow answer about multiple return statements in
            procedures<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/36707/should-a-function-have-only-one-return-statement/36714#36714>.
            The top 533 votes on the 3-most-upvoted answers all weigh in that they think
            the "one return per procedure" rule is, well, stupid. Finally there is a
            38-vote answer about minimizing return statements because some poor bloke
            could get confused.

            In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. In practice,
            there is often a big difference. Programmers, apparently, in practice prefer
            being able to do things early when it makes sense. I think this is one of
            those cases: I don't want to exit the loop, I don't want a huge if block
            polluting my function, I just want to quickly go to the next loop if the
            circumstances for this invocation are wrong.

            A suggestion to Douglas: could jslint be made to separate the issues of
            unfiltered for...in and continue? If jslint will be recommending against use
            of 'continue' I will take it under advisemen. IN the meantime, how about
            coding to warn about its use, but give me an option to allow it? Don't tell
            me incorrectly that I didn't filter my for...in loop *when I did*,* *just
            not the way you *like* it done.

            I love jslint. It's faster than running my code over and over and tracking
            down each bug one at a time. It helps me find bugs I didn't even know I had
            yet (just this week, a misspelled variable was preventing the update of
            something I thought was updating). I'd pay money for it. I'd consider it a
            great kindness to allow me my style choice without punishment (either ignore
            the unfiltered for...in warning or not get them at all, neither of which is
            good). Whatever the theoretical arguments against 'continue' are, in
            practice I find it useful and more clear sometimes. Please don't penalize me
            in jslint for a decision that is purely one of style.

            Erik

            On Thu, Nov 18, 2010 at 2:23 PM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC <
            austin.cheney@...> wrote:

            > Erik,
            >
            > The problem with the continue statement is that its use obscures logic. It
            > is clear that a loop will break or it is endless. An endless loop is
            > considered a broken program. Since a correct loop will end what is important
            > is if it ends at the defined point of termination or if the loop ends
            > prematurely. The continue statement does nothing to make this more clear and
            > instead confuses the interpretation of potential break points. The break
            > statement, conversely, is absolutely imperative to this clarity. Premature
            > loop termination is absolutely essential to certain operations where the
            > variable representing the looping index is used in closure, because then
            > that variable can be used against the stated loop length to derive
            > conditional conclusions outside of a containing function.
            >
            > In other words the continue statement can always be mitigated through the
            > use of more sturdy logic while its use can confuse other logic that is
            > essential not open to mitigation. Therefore, it is in your best interest to
            > not use the continue statement. Additionally, if you are assigning a
            > variable set in closure representing any of the three object types in a
            > condition containing a continue statement you are likely opening a covert
            > channel in your code, which is a potential security weakness if your code is
            > complex enough to contain multiple points of disparate execution.
            >
            > If you post an example of JavaScript using the continue statement I can
            > show how to mitigate its use.
            >
            > Austin Cheney, CISSP
            > http://prettydiff.com/
            > __._,

          • Carlos Vadillo
            Message 5 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Duran <contact@...> wrote:

              > Here's an old function from a greasemonkey script I wrote a few years ago
              > that uses label and break instead of a bunch of control variables to
              > properly break the outer loop when searching for selectors in stylesheets:
              >
              > var changeCSS = function (selector, property, value) {
              > var i, j, lenR, rules, found,
              > doc = document,
              > styleSheets = doc.styleSheets,
              > lenS = styleSheets.length,
              > jsProperty = property.replace(/-([\s\S])/g, function () {
              > return arguments[1].toUpperCase();
              > });
              >
              > // get selector and add/change style
              > css:
              > for (i = 0; i < lenS; i += 1) {
              > rules = styleSheets[i].cssRules;
              > for (j = 0, lenR = rules.length; j < lenR; j += 1) {
              > if (rules[j].selectorText === selector) {
              > found = true;
              > rules[j].style[jsProperty] = value;
              > break css;
              >
              > // add selector when not found
              > if (!found) {
              > styleSheets[i - 1].insertRule(selector + '{' + property + ':' +
              > value + ';}', j - 1);
              > }
              > };
              >
              > And it's JSLint approved.
              >

              > Marcel
              >
              > On Wed, Nov 17, 2010 at 6:35 PM, Michael Mikowski <z_mikowski@...>wrote:
              >

              > > Actually, Douglas,
              > >
              > > My standards do follow your recommendations about filtering; unfortunately,
              > > the
              > > example I contrived does not.
              > > The intent there was to show the use of a label for continue and break. It
              > > was
              > > another poster who wanted to use continue as a filter method.
              > >
              > > Someone else mentioned that "goto is evil". Yes, but the labels are not
              > > intended for use with goto. They are intended to mark a loop so that if one
              > >
              > > uses continue or break, its obvious what control structure is affected.
              > >
              > > Cheers, Mike
              > >

              > > ________________________________

              I think you can always write an alternative code that conveys better your intentions:

              var changeCSS = function (selector, property, value) {
              var i,
              rules,
              found,
              doc = document,
              styleSheets = doc.styleSheets,
              lenS = styleSheets.length,
              jsProperty = property.replace(/-([\s\S])/g, function () {
              return arguments[1].toUpperCase();
              }),
              findSelectorInRules = function (rules) {
              var j,
              lenR;

              for (j = 0, lenR = rules.length; j < lenR; j += 1) {
              if (rules[j].selectorText === selector) {
              rules[j].style[jsProperty] = value;
              return true;
              return false;
              },
              findSelectorInStyleSheets = function (styleSheets) {
              var i,
              rules,
              lenS = styleSheets.length;

              for (i = 0; i < lenS; i += 1) {
              rules = styleSheets[i].cssRules;
              if (findSelectorInRules(rules)) {
              return true;
              return false;
              },
              insertRuleAtEnd = function (styleSheets) {
              var lenS = styleSheets.length - 1,
              lenR = styleSheets[lenS].cssRules.length - 1;

              styleSheets[lenS].insertRule(selector + '{' + property + ':' + value + ';}', lenR);
              };

              // get selector and add/change style
              if (!findSelectorInStyleSheets(styleSheets)) {
              insertRuleAtEnd(styleSheets);

              As I understood the code it only has one function, to insert a selector that does not exist. Then the function only have two statements: The first to determine if the selector is present in the styleSheets and the second to insert the selector at the end of the arrays.

              By breaking your code into nested functions what you gain is a piece of code that can be read by a human: If I cannot find the selector in the current style sheets then I will insert it at the end. How you find the selector is not important at the narrative of the function. Then you go to next level of functions, and have a narrative also: review all the styleSheets and find the selector in their rules. So on and so forth.

              No need for continue, no need for break, no need for labels and a code that is easy to read
            • Marcel Duran
              Message 6 of 19 , Nov 18, 2010
                Hi Carlos,

                I really like your solution, it's much clearer. As I mentioned this is an
                old code I wrote a few years ago which uses label/brake, I certainly won't
                wrote the same if I had to. One of the beauties of JavaScript IMO is this
                always evolving coding style nature when the all the pieces has always been
                there.

                Thanks,

                Marcel

                --
                Marcel Duran

              • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
                Message 7 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                  Erik,

                  > In my opinion this is little different than this greatly-upvoted Stack
                  > Overflow

                  I deleted my Stack Overflow account in late spring. Popularity is not a
                  correlation to accuracy.

                  > The top 533 votes on the 3-most-upvoted answers all weigh in that they
                  > think the "one return per procedure" rule is, well, stupid.

                  There is nothing wrong with multiple exit points from a container of
                  logic. If you have all that you need then destroy the current loop and
                  exit the current container as early as possible. This is the only way I
                  could make my markup beautification logic perform in an acceptable time
                  frame.

                  > I think this is one of those cases: I don't want to exit the loop, I
                  > don't want a huge if block polluting my function, I just want to
                  > quickly go to the next loop if the circumstances for this invocation
                  > are wrong.

                  The point of the continue statement is to break the current index of a
                  loop provided a condition without breaking from the loop. Since you are
                  not wanting to exist the loop it would make more sense to plan around
                  that condition where you do exit prematurely thereby negating the use of
                  continue.

                  Austin Cheney, CISSP
                  http://prettydiff.com/
                • Paul
                  Message 8 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                    I agree with the OP.

                    I use the continue statement in exactly the same manner and have trouble understanding the objection to responsible use of the continue statement.

                    I just don't see where the continue statement can confuse logic where other flow control methods do not. I've personally gone nearly cross-eyed trying to deal with another developer's deep layers of nested flow control.

                    I do see how the continue statement can be abused, but I'm sure we've all seen how if statements can also be abused. Which is why I think that outright discouraging its use altogether seems rather extreme.

                    While I respect the difference in opinion, I'd also be glad to see an optional exception added for the unfiltered for..in check so that it could tolerate a single conditional statement block containing only "continue;" at the top of the loop's expression as a filter, but not tolerate for..in loops that are actually unfiltered.

                    --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC" <austin.cheney@...> wrote:

                    > Erik,
                    >
                    > The problem with the continue statement is that its use obscures logic. It is clear that a loop will break or it is endless. An endless loop is considered a broken program. Since a correct loop will end what is important is if it ends at the defined point of termination or if the loop ends prematurely. The continue statement does nothing to make this more clear and instead confuses the interpretation of potential break points. The break statement, conversely, is absolutely imperative to this clarity. Premature loop termination is absolutely essential to certain operations where the variable representing the looping index is used in closure, because then that variable can be used against the stated loop length to derive conditional conclusions outside of a containing function.
                    >
                    > In other words the continue statement can always be mitigated through the use of more sturdy logic while its use can confuse other logic that is essential not open to mitigation. Therefore, it is in your best interest to not use the continue statement. Additionally, if you are assigning a variable set in closure representing any of the three object types in a condition containing a continue statement you are likely opening a covert channel in your code, which is a potential security weakness if your code is complex enough to contain multiple points of disparate execution.
                    >
                    > If you post an example of JavaScript using the continue statement I can show how to mitigate its use.
                    >
                    > Austin Cheney, CISSP
                    > http://prettydiff.com/

                  • Chris
                    Message 9 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010
                      Hello,

                      This seems like a reasonable suggestion. I can see the appeal of the alternative style proposed here. I see nothing unclear or obscure about the "continue" keyword in this context. However, I remain unconvinced that JSLint would be better off permitting this.

                      The "continue" and "break" keywords seem unclear if they occur at random points within a very large loop. A "continue" statement that is buried deep in the guts of its parent loop could indeed cause confusion. It could easily be overlooked by somebody looking over the code. Even if they find it, its meaning may not be clear: a reader might need to look back up the code to locate the loop's control statement. The situation can be further confounded by nested loops.

                      Interestingly, the obscurity of purpose increases with the number of lines of code between the "continue" and the beginning of its parent loop. At the very top of the loop, the confusion caused by the "continue" statement is minimal.

                      If I imagine a for..in loop that starts with a conditional block, and that conditional block contains "continue" as its only statement, then I would find that to be an acceptable level of complexity.

                      Due to the nature of the problem, some increase in complexity is necessary. The current solution of wrapping the body of a for..in loop with a large conditional block also increases complexity.

                      If I compare the increase in complexity caused by the current solution against the corresponding increase caused by the proposed solution, I don't see a significant difference. As others have pointed out, it seems to be a stylistic decision more than anything else.

                      However, "continue" is a treacherous statement. It is maligned because of its similarity with "goto." Indeed, it is easy to imagine ways in which it could be abused. It has redeeming qualities when used correctly and consciously, but it could also lead to sloppy, confusing code if used poorly.

                      Given the potential issues with "continue," I am not convinced that JSLint should suggest its use, particularly when the current solution functions perfectly well. I am happy to avoid use of "continue" unless it offers a clear improvement. I don't see such an improvement in this case.

                      Furthermore, JSLint is in a unique position. There are many resources to help a beginning programmer learn JavaScript. There are, however, few resources to help a beginning programmer learn JavaScript WELL. Of those few, JSLint is the only tool of its kind that I am aware of. Many people look to JSLint and change their coding style because of it; in effect, improving themselves by drawing from Mr. Crockford's experience.

                      Given the importance of JSLint, and the issues surrounding the "continue" statement, I opine that JSLint should not promote "continue" in any context.

                      - Chris

                      Message 10 of 19 , Nov 19, 2010

                        > Given the importance of JSLint, and the issues surrounding the "continue"
                        > statement, I opine that JSLint should not promote "continue" in any context.
                        >
                        > - Chris

                        +1

                        --
                        Marcel Duran

                        Message 11 of 19 , Nov 21, 2010
                          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Marcel Duran <contact@...> wrote:

                          > > Given the importance of JSLint, and the issues surrounding the "continue"
                          > > statement, I opine that JSLint should not promote "continue" in any context.
                          > >
                          > > - Chris
                          > >
                          > +1
                          >
                          > --
                          > Marcel Duran

                          I too agree that it should not be encouraged. I'm also a subscriber to the one exit point methodology/style as well. Multiple exit points tends to lead to spaghettification.
                        • Erik Eckhardt
                          Message 12 of 19 , Nov 21, 2010
                            *Edward*,

                            You are right that votes don't make something right. It is also true that
                            when we are talking in the area of style, the opinion of a great quantity
                            professionals (or at least nontrivial enthusiasts) is of some weight. And
                            that you deleted your Stack Overflow account in late spring doesn't mean you
                            are right, either. :)

                            >> Since you are not wanting to exit the loop it would make more sense to
                            plan around that condition where you do exit prematurely thereby negating
                            the use of continue.

                            This makes no sense. I don't want to *terminate* the loop (that would be
                            "break"). I want to go to the next invocation/cycle/loop. Why should I plan
                            around exiting prematurely when I don't want to do so?

                            *Chris Nielsen*,

                            >> Given the potential issues with "continue," I am not convinced that
                            JSLint should suggest its use, particularly when the current solution
                            functions perfectly well.

                            I am completely with you about not *suggesting* the use of 'continue'. No
                            one said anything about that. Instead, I asked for it to be *allowed*.

                            Detecting that a 'continue' does in fact filter a for...in loop is far from
                            promoting its use. The decision to not complain about continue was made on
                            jslint some time ago. Until that decision is changed, why penalize for it?
                            And if the decision IS changed, and the warning against the use of
                            'continue' is given its own option to turn it off, we'd still be in the same
                            position of getting an error about unfiltered for...in even though warnings
                            on 'continue' have been suppressed. That means to me that jslint is broken.

                            Filtering and the use of 'continue' are two completely separate issues. If
                            someone doesn't like continue, great. But for cryin' out loud, it DOES
                            filter a for...in loop!

                            >> I am happy to avoid use of "continue" unless it offers a clear
                            improvement. I don't see such an improvement in this case.

                            If you wish to avoid it, more power to you. But you also said that you agree
                            it's purely a stylistic consideration. Given that even though you don't
                            personally see a clear improvement, I do see one, so what is the harm in
                            allowing me my preference?

                            Programmers sure are an opinionated bunch (not excluding self)!

                            Erik