Re: [jslint] use strict

  • James
    Message 1 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
      Yes, I understand. But why should I? If I always drive the speed limit, why should I put a speed regulator on my car? There may very well be a reason, I just want to know what advantage there is for me.

      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Rob Richardson" <erobrich@...> wrote:

      > "use strict" identifies you're opting into the ECMAScript 5 mode of the same
      > name.
      >
      > Rob
    • Luke Page
      Message 2 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
        ECMAScript 5 may be (negligably) faster, but the main benefit you get is in
        using/preparing to use a language that is more sane and developed and is the
        future of JavaScript. I'm sure you'll find lots of links as to the
        advantages if you google it. It shouldn't make your code slower.

        On 3 November 2010 13:34, James <jacob@...> wrote:

        > Yes, I understand. But why should I? If I always drive the speed limit, why
        > should I put a speed regulator on my car? There may very well be a reason, I
        > just want to know what advantage there is for me.
        >

        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, "Rob
        > Richardson" <erobrich@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > "use strict" identifies you're opting into the ECMAScript 5 mode of the
        > same
        > > name.
        > >
        > > Rob

      • Joshua Bell
        Message 3 of 7 , Nov 3, 2010
          On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 6:34 AM, James <jacob@...> wrote:

          > Yes, I understand. But why should I? If I always drive the speed limit,
          > why should I put a speed regulator on my car? There may very well be a
          > reason, I just want to know what advantage there is for me.

          This post has a reasonable summary:

          http://ejohn.org/blog/ecmascript-5-strict-mode-json-and-more/

          In browsers today, the use strict directive does nothing.

          In future browsers, the use strict directive will cause subtly different
          behavior in parts of ECMAScript you probably shouldn't be using anyway.
          JSLint attempts to warn you about some of those. Tracking es-discuss, it
          does not appear that there are any fully conforming ES5 implementations, so
          it is not possible to verify that your scripts are, in fact, strict-mode
          compliant. (That is, that they behave as you would expect.)

          IMHO, unless you are aware of the differences to the language that strict
          mode introduces, the safest thing to do at this point is to ask JSLint (or
          similar tools) to look for strict mode violations, but not deploy with a
          "use strict" directive.

          -- Josh