option.cap

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 11, 2010
      In the first decade of HTML, tagNames were written in upper case. In the second decade, the preferred style seems to be lower case. JSLint has a "Tolerate HTML case" option to help developers through the transition. Use of this option is recommended only for sites that want their HTML coding to appear to be antiquated and steam powered.

      JSLint now uses this option when examining tagNames in CSS styles.
    • Mark Volkmann
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 11, 2010
        On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 11:41 AM, Douglas Crockford
        <douglas@...>wrote:

        > In the first decade of HTML, tagNames were written in upper case. In the
        > second decade, the preferred style seems to be lower case. JSLint has a
        > "Tolerate HTML case" option to help developers through the transition. Use
        > of this option is recommended only for sites that want their HTML coding to
        > appear to be antiquated and steam powered.
        >
        > JSLint now uses this option when examining tagNames in CSS styles.

        In my view, lowercase is not simply the preferred style, it is required
        since XHTML validation requires it. I suppose some people don't like XHTML
        though.

        --
        R. Mark Volkmann
        Object Computing, Inc.

      • Tim Beadle
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 13, 2010
          On 11 October 2010 17:41, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
          > In the first decade of HTML, tagNames were written in upper case. In the second decade, the preferred style seems to be lower case. JSLint has a "Tolerate HTML case" option to help developers through the transition. Use of this option is recommended only for sites that want their HTML coding to appear to be antiquated and steam powered.
          >
          > JSLint now uses this option when examining tagNames in CSS styles.

          Douglas,

          Thanks for adding the option, even if the ensuing discussion has made
          me question whether we should be coding in this style.

          Thanks,

          Tim
          Message 4 of 9 , Nov 17, 2012
            The Tolerate HTML Case option was one of the first options added to JSLint. HTML tags were originally written in upper case, but tastes changed and now they are written in lower case.

            The option was added to help manage the transition. But that was over a decade ago. I think it is time to remove the option.

            Is anyone still relying on it?
          • Felix E. Klee
            Message 5 of 9 , Nov 18, 2012
              On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 3:23 AM, douglascrockford
              <douglas@...> wrote:
              > HTML tags were originally written in upper case, but tastes changed
              > and now they are written in lower case.

              Furthermore, in XHTML tags have to be in lower case:

              <http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/#h-4.2>