Re: Strict violation

  • Chris
    Message 1 of 14 , Sep 20, 2010
      wrote:

      > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Aseem" aseem.kishore@ wrote:
      >
      > > Can you please explain why this is a "strict violation"?
      > >
      > > "use strict";
      > > (function (window) {
      > > // ...
      > > }(this));
      > >
      > > I've seen this as a common technique used by various libraries
      (incl.
      > > jQuery) to allow munging of the window name inside the closure.
      >
      > Strict mode does not allow use of top-level this. you may want to turn
      off the strict option.

      Hello,

      A similar situation came up for me today. Can anybody elaborate on
      where this is documented? I'm looking in the ES5 specifications
      <http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/ECMA-262.p\
      df> , Annex C, and the closest thing I see is this:

      If this is evaluated within strict mode code, then the this value is not
      coerced to an object. A this value of null or undefined is not converted
      to the global object and primitive values are not converted to wrapper
      objects. The this value passed via a function call (including calls made
      using Function.prototype.apply and Function.prototype.call) do not
      coerce the passed this value to an object (10.4.3, 11.1.1, 15.3.4.3,
      15.3.4.4).

      However, I read this as meaning that someFunction.call(undefined) will
      no longer execute someFunction with "this" bound to the global object.
      I do not see where it indicates that using "this" in the global scope
      (as in Aseem's example) will cause a problem by itself.

      What am I missing?

      Thanks!

      - Chris

    • pauanyu
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 7, 2010
        "use strict";

        function foo() {
        return this.message;
        }

        foo.call({ message: "Hello!" });

        The above returns the error "Problem at line 4 character 12: Strict violation."

        Are the call and apply methods no longer allowed in ECMAScript 5 strict mode?
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 10, 2010

          > "use strict";
          >
          > function foo() {
          > return this.message;
          > }
          >
          > foo.call({ message: "Hello!" });
          >

          > The above returns the error "Problem at line 4 character 12: Strict violation."
          >
          > Are the call and apply methods no longer allowed in ECMAScript 5 strict mode?

          The warning was on line 4, not on line 6.
        • pauanyu
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 13, 2010

            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "pauanyu" <pcxunlimited@> wrote:
            > >
            > > "use strict";
            > >
            > > function foo() {
            > > return this.message;
            > > }
            > >
            > > foo.call({ message: "Hello!" });
            > >

            > > The above returns the error "Problem at line 4 character 12: Strict violation."
            > >
            > > Are the call and apply methods no longer allowed in ECMAScript 5 strict mode?
            >
            > The warning was on line 4, not on line 6.

            Indeed, which is why I said it was on line 4.

            My point is that JSLint is thinking that the "this" usage is referring to the global object, when in fact it is not (because of `call`). This means that you cannot use `call` or `apply` with strict mode without JSLint spitting back an error.

            So I ask again: are call and apply banned in ECMAScript 5 strict mode, or should JSLint tolerate this?
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 16, 2010

              > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "pauanyu" <pcxunlimited@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > "use strict";
              > > >
              > > > function foo() {
              > > > return this.message;
              > > > }
              > > >
              > > > foo.call({ message: "Hello!" });
              > > >

              > > > The above returns the error "Problem at line 4 character 12: Strict violation."
              > > >
              > > > Are the call and apply methods no longer allowed in ECMAScript 5 strict mode?
              > >
              > > The warning was on line 4, not on line 6.
              > >

              > Indeed, which is why I said it was on line 4.
              >
              > My point is that JSLint is thinking that the "this" usage is referring to the global object, when in fact it is not (because of `call`). This means that you cannot use `call` or `apply` with strict mode without JSLint spitting back an error.
              >
              > So I ask again: are call and apply banned in ECMAScript 5 strict mode, or should JSLint tolerate this?

              No. That is why the error was not on line 6.
            • Stefan Weiss
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 16, 2010
                On 17/10/10 02:12, Douglas Crockford wrote:
                > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "pauanyu" <pcxunlimited@...> wrote:
                >> So I ask again: are call and apply banned in ECMAScript 5 strict
                >> mode, or should JSLint tolerate this?
                >
                > No. That is why the error was not on line 6.

                Excuse me, but that's not an answer to pauanyu's question. call() and
                apply() still exist in ES5, even in strict mode, and no static code
                analysis tool can possibly determine what -this- refers to in a function
                like

                function foo() {
                return this.message;
                }

                Throwing an unconditional error here is not a valid strategy for a
                linting tool, unless you can explain why, and how to avoid the error. I
                realize that you're very busy, but the question was valid and, IMHO,
                deserves a better explanation.

                regards,
                stefan
              • Dominic Mitchell
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 17, 2010
                  On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 3:30 AM, Stefan Weiss <weiss@...> wrote:

                  > Excuse me, but that's not an answer to pauanyu's question. call() and
                  > apply() still exist in ES5, even in strict mode, and no static code
                  > analysis tool can possibly determine what -this- refers to in a function
                  > like
                  >
                  > function foo() {
                  > return this.message;
                  > }
                  >
                  > Throwing an unconditional error here is not a valid strategy for a
                  > linting tool, unless you can explain why, and how to avoid the error. I
                  > realize that you're very busy, but the question was valid and, IMHO,
                  > deserves a better explanation.

                  I think the problem here is the this keyword. From the
                  spec<http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/files/ECMA-ST/ECMA-262.pdf>,
                  Annex C:

                  *A this value of null or undefined is not converted to the global object and
                  primitive values are not converted to wrapper objects.*

                  Because that function isn't being used in an object context (it's not a
                  constructor as it doesn't start with a capital), JSLint is warning about the
                  use of this.

                  -Dom

                • pauanyu
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 17, 2010

                    > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "pauanyu" <pcxunlimited@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Crockford" <douglas@> wrote:

                    > > > The warning was on line 4, not on line 6.
                    > > >

                    > > Indeed, which is why I said it was on line 4.
                    > >
                    > > My point is that JSLint is thinking that the "this" usage is referring to the global object, when in fact it is not (because of `call`). This means that you cannot use `call` or `apply` with strict mode without JSLint spitting back an error.
                    > >
                    > > So I ask again: are call and apply banned in ECMAScript 5 strict mode, or should JSLint tolerate this?
                    >

                    > No. That is why the error was not on line 6.

                    "use strict";

                    function foo() {
                    return this.message;
                    }

                    document.body.addEventListener("click", foo, true);

                    The above returns the same error, at the same location. What do I need to do to convince you that this is a problem? I think JSLint should tolerate "this" when it is being used in these two ways.

                    Both ways should be valid, according to ECMAScript 5 strict mode, so unless you have a reason to believe that these two use-cases should be banned...
                  • Nagy Endre
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 17, 2010
                      Try instead this:

                      "use strict";

                      var foo = function() {
                      return this.message;
                      };

                      foo.call({ message: "Hello!" });

                      or this

                      "use strict";

                      var foo= function() {
                      return this.message;
                      };

                      document.body.addEventListener("click", foo, true);

                      ________________________________

                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 18, 2010

                        > "use strict";
                        >
                        > function foo() {
                        > return this.message;
                        > }
                        >
                        > document.body.addEventListener("click", foo, true);
                        >

                        > The above returns the same error, at the same location. What do I need to do to convince you that this is a problem? I think JSLint should tolerate "this" when it is being used in these two ways.
                        >
                        > Both ways should be valid, according to ECMAScript 5 strict mode, so unless you have a reason to believe that these two use-cases should be banned...

                        There is a lot of crappy code that ES5 accepts that JSLint rejects. Your argument will not work here.

                        The point of ES5/strict is to prohibit leaking of the global object, something that ES3 does promiscuously. ES5/strict does some of its work dynamically, and some of its work statically. JSLint does all of its work statically, so it must be even more restrictive in order to best help you get your program right. Remember that the goal of JSLint is to improve code quality, not to make you feel good about sloppy work.

                        So when JSLint sees you saying "use strict"; and then sees you use a function statement containing this, it assumes that you don't know what you are doing and it gives you a warning.

                        My advice is that you either stop using strict mode, or adopt a more professional coding style.
                      • pauanyu
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 19, 2010

                          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "pauanyu" <pcxunlimited@> wrote:
                          >
                          > > "use strict";
                          > >
                          > > function foo() {
                          > > return this.message;
                          > > }
                          > >
                          > > document.body.addEventListener("click", foo, true);
                          > >

                          > > The above returns the same error, at the same location. What do I need to do to convince you that this is a problem? I think JSLint should tolerate "this" when it is being used in these two ways.
                          > >
                          > > Both ways should be valid, according to ECMAScript 5 strict mode, so unless you have a reason to believe that these two use-cases should be banned...
                          >

                          > There is a lot of crappy code that ES5 accepts that JSLint rejects. Your argument will not work here.
                          >
                          > The point of ES5/strict is to prohibit leaking of the global object, something that ES3 does promiscuously. ES5/strict does some of its work dynamically, and some of its work statically. JSLint does all of its work statically, so it must be even more restrictive in order to best help you get your program right. Remember that the goal of JSLint is to improve code quality, not to make you feel good about sloppy work.
                          >
                          > So when JSLint sees you saying "use strict"; and then sees you use a function statement containing this, it assumes that you don't know what you are doing and it gives you a warning.
                          >
                          > My advice is that you either stop using strict mode, or adopt a more professional coding style.

                          In that case, could you at least change the error message to something like:

                          Strict violation: don't use "this" within a function.
                        • Michael
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 19, 2010
                            On Tue, Oct 19, 2010 at 3:17 PM, pauanyu <pcxunlimited@...> wrote:

                            > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>, "Douglas
                            > Crockford" <douglas@...> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com <jslint_com%40yahoogroups.com>,
                            > "pauanyu" <pcxunlimited@> wrote:
                            > >
                            > > > "use strict";
                            > > >
                            > > > function foo() {
                            > > > return this.message;
                            > > > }
                            > > >
                            > > > document.body.addEventListener("click", foo, true);
                            > > >

                            > > > The above returns the same error, at the same location. What do I need
                            > to do to convince you that this is a problem? I think JSLint should tolerate
                            > "this" when it is being used in these two ways.
                            > > >
                            > > > Both ways should be valid, according to ECMAScript 5 strict mode, so
                            > unless you have a reason to believe that these two use-cases should be
                            > banned...
                            > >

                            > > There is a lot of crappy code that ES5 accepts that JSLint rejects. Your
                            > argument will not work here.
                            > >
                            > > The point of ES5/strict is to prohibit leaking of the global object,
                            > something that ES3 does promiscuously. ES5/strict does some of its work
                            > dynamically, and some of its work statically. JSLint does all of its work
                            > statically, so it must be even more restrictive in order to best help you
                            > get your program right. Remember that the goal of JSLint is to improve code
                            > quality, not to make you feel good about sloppy work.
                            > >
                            > > So when JSLint sees you saying "use strict"; and then sees you use a
                            > function statement containing this, it assumes that you don't know what you
                            > are doing and it gives you a warning.
                            > >
                            > > My advice is that you either stop using strict mode, or adopt a more
                            > professional coding style.
                            > >

                            > In that case, could you at least change the error message to something
                            > like:
                            >
                            > Strict violation: don't use "this" within a function.

                            A full explanation would really be helpful. This was something that was
                            really confusing me just this morning. Especially with a lot of libraries
                            which show examples of applying a scope to a callback function. Looking at
                            it now explicit is beautiful, but as a long time JS programmer, I always
                            thought the other way was better until I did research and read into some of
                            Douglas's comments in this thread.

                            Thanks,

                            Michael