[jslint] Re: Block-comment trick stops JSLINT

    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008

      http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/e53f483dd67e4d08/f72f7832ead80dfb?lnk=gst&q=JSLint#f72f7832ead80dfb

      > the point of the discussion is that JSlint may be used to "validate"
      > code - but only in a specific direction: towards Douglas favorite
      > code-style
      >
      > anyhoo -- i think its more important that JSLint has a good and big
      > support for testing code - and then disable whatever isn't suited for
      > the people using it.
      >

      > and back... The /*/ trick is meant for debugging -- if JSLint isn't
      > meant for people debugging, i can't use it.

      JSLint stops because it sees comments that are nested. That is usually
      an indication of a serious coding error. In the face of such errors,
      JSLint stops.

      You should not be employing coding patterns that depend on coding errors.

      Edwards was doing something badly, and rather than understand the
      correct thing, I attempted something even worse as a workaround. I
      think he has since gotten smarter.

      JSLint is a code quality tool. If quality is not a priority for you,
      then don't use it.
    • montago_2004
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
        /*
        Douglas ain't smart.
        */

        Douglas is smart.

        //-------------------------

        Q: which of those two statements are more accurate ?

        A: the one, which is not a comment, because its removed by the compiler.

        so my point is... should JSlint care about text inside comments ?
        I'm just asking.
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "montago_2004" <mdk@...> wrote:
          > so my point is... should JSlint care about text inside comments ?

          Yes it should, because sometimes syntax errors are hidden in comments.
          Again, I caution you to avoid programming conventions that depend on
          intentional errors.
        • Paul de Jong
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
            On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM, montago_2004 <mdk@...> wrote:
            > /*
            > Douglas ain't smart.
            > */
            >
            > Douglas is smart.

            > Q: which of those two statements are more accurate ?
            >
            > A: the one, which is not a comment, because its removed by the compiler.
            >
            > so my point is... should JSlint care about text inside comments ?
            > I'm just asking.

            For the reasoning behind removing the comments may I recommend:
            JavaScript: The Good Parts, Douglas Crockford, O'Reilly, 2008.