Re: RE: [jslint] "use strict";

  • Dominic Mitchell
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 17, 2010
      On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR <
      austin.cheney@...> wrote:

      > Where does the "use strict" declaration go? Does it go at the top of a
      > JavaScript file, or at the top of a function, or both, or somewhere else?

      It must be the very first statement in a file. I'm sure that jslint will
      tell you this. :)

      -Dom

    • Morgaut Alexandre Louis Marc
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 17, 2010
        It may also be at set as the first line of a JavaScript function

        so even if the rest of the code (after concatenation or loaded from other <script> tags) doesn't run in strict mode, the code of this function should

        (not sure it will be supported soon)

        On Sep 17, 2010, at 10:23 AM, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

        > On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR <
        > austin.cheney@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Where does the "use strict" declaration go? Does it go at the top of a
        > > JavaScript file, or at the top of a function, or both, or somewhere else?
        > >

        > It must be the very first statement in a file. I'm sure that jslint will
        > tell you this. :)
        >
        > -Dom

      • Mark Volkmann
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
          On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Sean Kelly <home@...> wrote:

          > I'm new to this list so this may have been answered before but aside from
          > reading the source code to JSLint (thanks BTW), how do we go about
          > understanding exactly what strict mode does? The questions on stackoverflow
          > are kind of mixed and I didn't remember seeing any discussion of this on
          > jslint.com

          I've been working on a presentation to explain this and other changes in
          ECMAScript 5. You can see my summary at
          http://java.ociweb.com/mark/programming/JavaScript/ECMAScript5.pdf

          Feedback on these slides is welcomed!

          --