"use strict";

  • douglas@crockford.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 16, 2010
      JSLint is now doing more checking of strict mode code.

      Use of strict mode is highly recommended, but do not use strict mode unless you fully understand what it does. Strict mode, by design, will break programs.

      Do not concatenate strict mode and non-strict mode code together. Doing so can cause the non-strict code to fail.
    • Sean Kelly
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 16, 2010
        I'm new to this list so this may have been answered before but aside from
        reading the source code to JSLint (thanks BTW), how do we go about
        understanding exactly what strict mode does? The questions on stackoverflow
        are kind of mixed and I didn't remember seeing any discussion of this on
        jslint.com

        SeanK
        P.S. I also started programming in JavaScript without learning the language.
        I am attempting to fix that now.

        JSLint is now doing more checking of strict mode code.

        Use of strict mode is highly recommended, but do not use strict mode unless
        you fully understand what it does. Strict mode, by design, will break
        programs.

        Do not concatenate strict mode and non-strict mode code together. Doing so
        can cause the non-strict code to fail.

        .

      • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 17, 2010
          Where does the "use strict" declaration go? Does it go at the top of a JavaScript file, or at the top of a function, or both, or somewhere else?

          Thanks,
          Austin
        • Dominic Mitchell
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 17, 2010
            On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR <
            austin.cheney@...> wrote:

            > Where does the "use strict" declaration go? Does it go at the top of a
            > JavaScript file, or at the top of a function, or both, or somewhere else?

            It must be the very first statement in a file. I'm sure that jslint will
            tell you this. :)

            -Dom

          • Morgaut Alexandre Louis Marc
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 17, 2010
              It may also be at set as the first line of a JavaScript function

              so even if the rest of the code (after concatenation or loaded from other <script> tags) doesn't run in strict mode, the code of this function should

              (not sure it will be supported soon)

              On Sep 17, 2010, at 10:23 AM, Dominic Mitchell wrote:

              > On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 8:43 AM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR <
              > austin.cheney@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Where does the "use strict" declaration go? Does it go at the top of a
              > > JavaScript file, or at the top of a function, or both, or somewhere else?
              > >

              > It must be the very first statement in a file. I'm sure that jslint will
              > tell you this. :)
              >
              > -Dom

            • Mark Volkmann
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 20, 2010
                On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 11:44 PM, Sean Kelly <home@...> wrote:

                > I'm new to this list so this may have been answered before but aside from
                > reading the source code to JSLint (thanks BTW), how do we go about
                > understanding exactly what strict mode does? The questions on stackoverflow
                > are kind of mixed and I didn't remember seeing any discussion of this on
                > jslint.com

                I've been working on a presentation to explain this and other changes in
                ECMAScript 5. You can see my summary at
                http://java.ociweb.com/mark/programming/JavaScript/ECMAScript5.pdf

                Feedback on these slides is welcomed!

                --