Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

[jslint] Re: Block-comment trick stops JSLINT

Expand Messages
  • montago_2004
    ... code ... comments still ... code leak ... If only JSLint would report it as an Error ... JSLint stops completely, so its not even possible to simply
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Klemen Slavič" <krof.drakula@...>
      wrote:
      >
      > IMHO, I don't think it's the domain of JSlint to handle these kind of
      > comments, since the output of this algorithm is supposed to be clean
      code
      > that is meant to be used in the wild - having those kinds of
      comments still
      > inside production code is more a sign of an unfinished product than a
      > lacking in JSlint's features.
      >
      > I'd suggest you ignore those errors when debugging and remove them upon
      > delivery - having an option to ignore those comments could lead to
      code leak
      > in the final product, like leftover dead commented code.

      If only JSLint would report it as an "Error"... JSLint stops
      completely, so its not even possible to simply ignore the error...

      If JSLint isn't supposed to be used WHILE coding, then what good is it
      ?... if you have a finished product which works perfectly... then
      theres not really a point in running JSLint on the code, unless you
      are a code-perfectionist who looooves beautiful code.

      the jQuery team gave up on JSLint because it actually introduced bad
      code behavior or unusual code :
      - http://dean.edwards.name/weblog/2006/06/jslint/
      -
      http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/e53f483dd67e4d08/f72f7832ead80dfb?lnk=gst&q=JSLint#f72f7832ead80dfb


      the point of the discussion is that JSlint may be used to "validate"
      code - but only in a specific direction: towards Douglas favorite
      code-style

      anyhoo -- i think its more important that JSLint has a good and big
      support for testing code - and then disable whatever isn't suited for
      the people using it.


      and back... The /*/ trick is meant for debugging -- if JSLint isn't
      meant for people debugging, i can't use it.
    • Douglas Crockford
      ... upon ... http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/e53f483dd67e4d08/f72f7832ead80dfb?lnk=gst&q=JSLint#f72f7832ead80dfb ... JSLint stops
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "montago_2004" <mdk@...> wrote:
        >
        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Klemen Slavič" <krof.drakula@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > IMHO, I don't think it's the domain of JSlint to handle these kind of
        > > comments, since the output of this algorithm is supposed to be clean
        > code
        > > that is meant to be used in the wild - having those kinds of
        > comments still
        > > inside production code is more a sign of an unfinished product than a
        > > lacking in JSlint's features.
        > >
        > > I'd suggest you ignore those errors when debugging and remove them
        upon
        > > delivery - having an option to ignore those comments could lead to
        > code leak
        > > in the final product, like leftover dead commented code.
        >
        > If only JSLint would report it as an "Error"... JSLint stops
        > completely, so its not even possible to simply ignore the error...
        >
        > If JSLint isn't supposed to be used WHILE coding, then what good is it
        > ?... if you have a finished product which works perfectly... then
        > theres not really a point in running JSLint on the code, unless you
        > are a code-perfectionist who looooves beautiful code.
        >
        > the jQuery team gave up on JSLint because it actually introduced bad
        > code behavior or unusual code :
        > - http://dean.edwards.name/weblog/2006/06/jslint/
        > -
        >
        http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/e53f483dd67e4d08/f72f7832ead80dfb?lnk=gst&q=JSLint#f72f7832ead80dfb
        >
        >
        > the point of the discussion is that JSlint may be used to "validate"
        > code - but only in a specific direction: towards Douglas favorite
        > code-style
        >
        > anyhoo -- i think its more important that JSLint has a good and big
        > support for testing code - and then disable whatever isn't suited for
        > the people using it.
        >
        >
        > and back... The /*/ trick is meant for debugging -- if JSLint isn't
        > meant for people debugging, i can't use it.

        JSLint stops because it sees comments that are nested. That is usually
        an indication of a serious coding error. In the face of such errors,
        JSLint stops.

        You should not be employing coding patterns that depend on coding errors.

        Edwards was doing something badly, and rather than understand the
        correct thing, I attempted something even worse as a workaround. I
        think he has since gotten smarter.

        JSLint is a code quality tool. If quality is not a priority for you,
        then don't use it.
      • montago_2004
        /* Douglas ain t smart. */ Douglas is smart. //------------------------- Q: which of those two statements are more accurate ? A: the one, which is not a
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          /*
          Douglas ain't smart.
          */

          Douglas is smart.

          //-------------------------

          Q: which of those two statements are more accurate ?

          A: the one, which is not a comment, because its removed by the compiler.


          so my point is... should JSlint care about text inside comments ?
          I'm just asking.
        • Douglas Crockford
          ... Yes it should, because sometimes syntax errors are hidden in comments. Again, I caution you to avoid programming conventions that depend on intentional
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "montago_2004" <mdk@...> wrote:
            > so my point is... should JSlint care about text inside comments ?

            Yes it should, because sometimes syntax errors are hidden in comments.
            Again, I caution you to avoid programming conventions that depend on
            intentional errors.
          • Paul de Jong
            ... For the reasoning behind removing the comments may I recommend: JavaScript: The Good Parts, Douglas Crockford, O Reilly, 2008.
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM, montago_2004 <mdk@...> wrote:
              > /*
              > Douglas ain't smart.
              > */
              >
              > Douglas is smart.
              >
              > //-------------------------
              >
              > Q: which of those two statements are more accurate ?
              >
              > A: the one, which is not a comment, because its removed by the compiler.
              >
              > so my point is... should JSlint care about text inside comments ?
              > I'm just asking.

              For the reasoning behind removing the comments may I recommend:
              JavaScript: The Good Parts, Douglas Crockford, O'Reilly, 2008.
            Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.