Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [jslint] Re: Block-comment trick stops JSLINT

Expand Messages
  • Klemen Slavič
    IMHO, I don t think it s the domain of JSlint to handle these kind of comments, since the output of this algorithm is supposed to be clean code that is meant
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
    • 0 Attachment
      IMHO, I don't think it's the domain of JSlint to handle these kind of comments, since the output of this algorithm is supposed to be clean code that is meant to be used in the wild - having those kinds of comments still inside production code is more a sign of an unfinished product than a lacking in JSlint's features.

      I'd suggest you ignore those errors when debugging and remove them upon delivery - having an option to ignore those comments could lead to code leak in the final product, like leftover dead commented code.

      2008/8/6 montago_2004 <mdk@...>


      no.. its very good practise to code and debug...
      do you disagree ?

      this trick relies on a proper parser.

      I've made it work in my Editor...
      also works in Visual Studio (any version), Notepad++, Dreamweaver and
      whatever...

      its a bug in JSLint, admit it...

    • montago_2004
      ... code ... comments still ... code leak ... If only JSLint would report it as an Error ... JSLint stops completely, so its not even possible to simply
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
      • 0 Attachment
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Klemen Slavič" <krof.drakula@...>
        wrote:
        >
        > IMHO, I don't think it's the domain of JSlint to handle these kind of
        > comments, since the output of this algorithm is supposed to be clean
        code
        > that is meant to be used in the wild - having those kinds of
        comments still
        > inside production code is more a sign of an unfinished product than a
        > lacking in JSlint's features.
        >
        > I'd suggest you ignore those errors when debugging and remove them upon
        > delivery - having an option to ignore those comments could lead to
        code leak
        > in the final product, like leftover dead commented code.

        If only JSLint would report it as an "Error"... JSLint stops
        completely, so its not even possible to simply ignore the error...

        If JSLint isn't supposed to be used WHILE coding, then what good is it
        ?... if you have a finished product which works perfectly... then
        theres not really a point in running JSLint on the code, unless you
        are a code-perfectionist who looooves beautiful code.

        the jQuery team gave up on JSLint because it actually introduced bad
        code behavior or unusual code :
        - http://dean.edwards.name/weblog/2006/06/jslint/
        -
        http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/e53f483dd67e4d08/f72f7832ead80dfb?lnk=gst&q=JSLint#f72f7832ead80dfb


        the point of the discussion is that JSlint may be used to "validate"
        code - but only in a specific direction: towards Douglas favorite
        code-style

        anyhoo -- i think its more important that JSLint has a good and big
        support for testing code - and then disable whatever isn't suited for
        the people using it.


        and back... The /*/ trick is meant for debugging -- if JSLint isn't
        meant for people debugging, i can't use it.
      • Douglas Crockford
        ... upon ... http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/e53f483dd67e4d08/f72f7832ead80dfb?lnk=gst&q=JSLint#f72f7832ead80dfb ... JSLint stops
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
        • 0 Attachment
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "montago_2004" <mdk@...> wrote:
          >
          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Klemen Slavič" <krof.drakula@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > IMHO, I don't think it's the domain of JSlint to handle these kind of
          > > comments, since the output of this algorithm is supposed to be clean
          > code
          > > that is meant to be used in the wild - having those kinds of
          > comments still
          > > inside production code is more a sign of an unfinished product than a
          > > lacking in JSlint's features.
          > >
          > > I'd suggest you ignore those errors when debugging and remove them
          upon
          > > delivery - having an option to ignore those comments could lead to
          > code leak
          > > in the final product, like leftover dead commented code.
          >
          > If only JSLint would report it as an "Error"... JSLint stops
          > completely, so its not even possible to simply ignore the error...
          >
          > If JSLint isn't supposed to be used WHILE coding, then what good is it
          > ?... if you have a finished product which works perfectly... then
          > theres not really a point in running JSLint on the code, unless you
          > are a code-perfectionist who looooves beautiful code.
          >
          > the jQuery team gave up on JSLint because it actually introduced bad
          > code behavior or unusual code :
          > - http://dean.edwards.name/weblog/2006/06/jslint/
          > -
          >
          http://groups.google.com/group/jquery-en/browse_thread/thread/e53f483dd67e4d08/f72f7832ead80dfb?lnk=gst&q=JSLint#f72f7832ead80dfb
          >
          >
          > the point of the discussion is that JSlint may be used to "validate"
          > code - but only in a specific direction: towards Douglas favorite
          > code-style
          >
          > anyhoo -- i think its more important that JSLint has a good and big
          > support for testing code - and then disable whatever isn't suited for
          > the people using it.
          >
          >
          > and back... The /*/ trick is meant for debugging -- if JSLint isn't
          > meant for people debugging, i can't use it.

          JSLint stops because it sees comments that are nested. That is usually
          an indication of a serious coding error. In the face of such errors,
          JSLint stops.

          You should not be employing coding patterns that depend on coding errors.

          Edwards was doing something badly, and rather than understand the
          correct thing, I attempted something even worse as a workaround. I
          think he has since gotten smarter.

          JSLint is a code quality tool. If quality is not a priority for you,
          then don't use it.
        • montago_2004
          /* Douglas ain t smart. */ Douglas is smart. //------------------------- Q: which of those two statements are more accurate ? A: the one, which is not a
          Message 4 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
          • 0 Attachment
            /*
            Douglas ain't smart.
            */

            Douglas is smart.

            //-------------------------

            Q: which of those two statements are more accurate ?

            A: the one, which is not a comment, because its removed by the compiler.


            so my point is... should JSlint care about text inside comments ?
            I'm just asking.
          • Douglas Crockford
            ... Yes it should, because sometimes syntax errors are hidden in comments. Again, I caution you to avoid programming conventions that depend on intentional
            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
            • 0 Attachment
              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "montago_2004" <mdk@...> wrote:
              > so my point is... should JSlint care about text inside comments ?

              Yes it should, because sometimes syntax errors are hidden in comments.
              Again, I caution you to avoid programming conventions that depend on
              intentional errors.
            • Paul de Jong
              ... For the reasoning behind removing the comments may I recommend: JavaScript: The Good Parts, Douglas Crockford, O Reilly, 2008.
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 6, 2008
              • 0 Attachment
                On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM, montago_2004 <mdk@...> wrote:
                > /*
                > Douglas ain't smart.
                > */
                >
                > Douglas is smart.
                >
                > //-------------------------
                >
                > Q: which of those two statements are more accurate ?
                >
                > A: the one, which is not a comment, because its removed by the compiler.
                >
                > so my point is... should JSlint care about text inside comments ?
                > I'm just asking.

                For the reasoning behind removing the comments may I recommend:
                JavaScript: The Good Parts, Douglas Crockford, O'Reilly, 2008.
              Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.