Re: [jslint] dot property name

  • Frederik Dohr
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
      > Couldn't it be optional?

      I would prefer this as well.
      My colleagues and I made a conscious decision to use a trailing dot to
      indicate line continuation, which turned out positive in terms of code
      maintenance.

      -- F.
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Frederik Dohr <fdg001@...> wrote:

        > > Couldn't it be optional?
        >
        > I would prefer this as well.
        > My colleagues and I made a conscious decision to use a trailing dot to
        > indicate line continuation, which turned out positive in terms of code
        > maintenance.

        I made the same decision as well, and I now believe that decision was incorrect. I recommend that you update your code.
      • g2223060
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 26, 2010
          I agree about the leading dot- it is an obvious hint that the line continues the one above it. I dislike the trailing dot on the previous line. I think DC said it right- whitespace after the dot is bad.

          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Jean-Charles Meyrignac <jcmeyrignac@...> wrote:

          > As a C coder, I prefer the following:
          >
          > function func1(foo) {
          > var bar = foo
          > .replace('o', '0')
          > .replace('a', '4');
          > return bar;
          > }
          >
          > In my opinion, the dot should always be placed before the method, not on the
          > line above.

        • Michael S. Mikowski
          Message 4 of 9 , Sep 13, 2010
            FWIW, here's my $0.02:

            Porting style from Conway's PBP, breaking before every operator and using K&R
            style indenting makes for very readable JS code IMO.

            var fnHello = function (){
            if ( ary_foo.length > 25
            || ary_foo < 5
            ){
            hash_elem.$body
            .find('div .namespace')
            .html( ''
            + '<h3>Hello</h3>
            + '<p>'
            + 'Hello World'
            + '</p>'
            )
            .end()
            .find('input')
            .css({'border-color':'#f00'})
            ;
            hash_state.sw_foo = true;

            Compare with the alternative:

            var fnHello = function (){
            if ( ary_foo.length > 25 ||
            ary_foo < 5
            ){
            hash_elem.
            $body.
            find('div .namespace').
            html('<h3>Hello</h3> +
            '<p>' +
            'Hello World' +
            '</p>').
            end().find('input').
            css({'border-color':'#f00'});
            hash_state.sw_foo = true;

            Operators on the end make them very hard to spot, not just the ., but also the
            || and the +.

            Keeping all lines below 80 characters allows me to view 3 files simultaneously
            side-by-side on my monitor. Finally, all jQuery elements are prefixed by a '$'
            sigil, a handy convention.

            YMMV.

            Cheers, Mike