Re: Unicode and JSLint

  • abyssoft@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 23, 2010
      Mr. Crockford,

      I concede that I do see your point; but, at the same time is it not likely that without JSLint supporting in part some of the nearby Unicode blocks that it is unlikely to see them appear in use.
      I would think that initially: "Latin-1 Supplement", "Latin Extended-A", "Latin Extended-B", "Greek and Coptic", and "Cyrillic" would be good for initial expansion.
      I admit that my primary desire for usage of Unicode is a bit eccentric in that I was hoping to be able to use the "Letterlike Symbols" block for a math lib as these are useful for such. I will stick with ASCII for the time being and only use the other Unicode chars for strings and comments. Your opinion is one that I value highly.

      Sincerely,
      George W
    • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 25, 2010
        George,

        To be fair it is unlikely that Unicode will become a functional part of the web, content aside, until RFC 3897 gains some traction over RFC 3896, which is not going to happen for a very long time since HTTP is inherently reliant upon RFC 3986. Dr. Fielding appears to have no ambition to introduce additional complexity into the processing of HTTP header definitions that would exist in a more I18N environment. As a result it is quite probable that ASCII, particularly 7-bit ASCII, will remain the character set of web code for years to come. At the same time it does not appear other bodies, such as IMC or the groups managed under ISOC, of the Internet's application layer particularly have any such interest either.

        Austin
      • abyssoft@ymail.com
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 25, 2010
          Austin,

          Point well taken. And, thank you for the explanation. It clarify the why and the when.

          George