Re: body tag

    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "riderpaulpaul" <riderpaul@...> wrote:

      > One big issue in JavaScript is the onload issue. Many of the
      > frameworks have a periodic check to see if the body has loaded using
      > various methods.
      >
      > Since script tags can be in the HTML head (outside the HTML body), why
      > can't one simply place the initiating script tag between [/body] and
      > [/html]. It seems to me like this solves a lot of problems.
      > Semantically it also make sense to place the tag there, rather then in
      > the body that is being manipulated by the script.
      >
      > [html]
      > [head][/head]
      > [body][/body]
      > [script][/script]
      > [/html]

      I don't see how it solves anything. There is a lot in the HTML
      recommendations that doesn't make sense, but the requirement that the
      tags all go either into the head or the body seems pretty reasonable.
    • Paul de Jong
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 4, 2008
        The issue I was referring to is that the body tag needs to be
        completely loaded before a DOM script runs, especially if you have
        something like document.body.appendChild in your script. Having the
        script in the body means one needs to do complicated DOM checking to
        make sure the body is loaded before the script runs...or at least set
        a arbitrary delay in the hopes that the end of the body will get
        processed in that time.

        It seems weird to put the script tag inside the body tag, when
        logically it should come after it. I was just wondering if there was
        some reason other then the one you stated.

        I have never encountered a problem putting the script tag after the
        body tag. Putting the script tags in the head is highly inefficient
        since it stops the page from loading and can cause a blank screen.
        (See Steve Souders book: High Performance Web Sites, O'Reilly, 2007)

        Thanks.

        On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 3:51 PM, Douglas Crockford <douglas@...> wrote:
        > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "riderpaulpaul" <riderpaul@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> One big issue in JavaScript is the onload issue. Many of the
        >> frameworks have a periodic check to see if the body has loaded using
        >> various methods.
        >>
        >> Since script tags can be in the HTML head (outside the HTML body), why
        >> can't one simply place the initiating script tag between [/body] and
        >> [/html]. It seems to me like this solves a lot of problems.
        >> Semantically it also make sense to place the tag there, rather then in
        >> the body that is being manipulated by the script.
        >>
        >> [html]
        >> [head][/head]
        >> [body][/body]
        >> [script][/script]
        >> [/html]
        >
        > I don't see how it solves anything. There is a lot in the HTML
        > recommendations that doesn't make sense, but the requirement that the
        > tags all go either into the head or the body seems pretty reasonable.

      • Andy Stevens
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
          2008/8/5 Paul de Jong <riderpaul@...>:
          > The issue I was referring to is that the body tag needs to be
          > completely loaded before a DOM script runs,

          Not always, I have inline scripts that work just fine so long as the
          parts of the DOM they are manipulating are ready & available.

          > especially if you have
          > something like document.body.appendChild in your script.

          Seems reasonable to me that the body should be complete before you add to it.

          > Having the
          > script in the body means one needs to do complicated DOM checking to
          > make sure the body is loaded before the script runs...or at least set
          > a arbitrary delay in the hopes that the end of the body will get
          > processed in that time.

          How complicated is <body
          onload="finished_loading_so_call_the_script_now()"> anyway?

          > It seems weird to put the script tag inside the body tag, when
          > logically it should come after it. I was just wondering if there was
          > some reason other then the one you stated.
          >
          > I have never encountered a problem putting the script tag after the
          > body tag.

          Hey, if it works for you then go for it. So long as you don't care
          about your HTML being invalid according to the DTD, so it may break
          unexpectedly in future browser versions. If you care so much, you can
          also join the HTML 5 discussions and try to get it added to the spec.

          What does any of this have to do with JSLint, though? Are you saying
          that your inline script isn't being checked if it's not inside the
          head or body tags?

          Andy.
        • Paul de Jong
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 5, 2008
            The issue with onload is that it is not ondomload, so if any file
            being downloaded takes too long the script does not fire and the user
            could be interacting even before the script loads.

            The two main reasons for me asking the question here are: 1) I just
            read "JavaScript: The Good Parts, Douglas Crockford, O'Reilly" and
            think it is the best JavaScript book I have ever read. It does avoid
            DOM issues entirely though, and I was hoping to get an informed
            opinion on this topic. I work on image heavy sites and onload is not
            an option. 2) I used JSLint and it told me that putting the script tag
            below the body was bad and I was wondering why. I was wondering if it
            was just a convention to put the script tag(s) in the head and body or
            if it was an actual rule.

            I will make a suggestion for the HTML 5 group. I think a footer block
            that was guaranteed to run just after the DOM is fully loaded would be
            great.

            Thank you for your responses!