Re: [jslint] Re: Calling With Too Much Parameters

  • Jean-Charles Meyrignac
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 10, 2010
      On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 7:49 AM, pauanyu <pcxunlimited@...> wrote:

      > Don't forget that it's possible to access the non-named parameters using
      > the "arguments" object.
      >
      > Thanks, I forgot that.

      > I suppose if the function does not access the arguments object, then
      > throwing a warning or error in that case might be nice.
      >
      > A warning is enough, and would help locating weird calls.

      > In any case, if the function is called with more arguments than it expects,
      > it simply ignores the excess. I'm not sure why that would cause a bug in the
      > plugin.
      >
      > The routine was called with arguments (url, login, password, callback).
      And the routine was declared with (url, server, callback), with server =
      {login, password}
      So 'password' was used instead of 'callback'.
      It seems that a refactoring gone wrong..

      JC

    • Rob Richardson
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 11, 2010
        This is totally valid (albeit confusing):

        var f = function () {
        // FRAGILE: Error check arguments.length and resulting vars for presence of
        value before using
        var a = arguments[0];
        var b = arguments[1];

        A function like this could correctly be called in all these cases:

        f(1,2,3,4,5);

        f(1,2,3);

        f({a: 1, b: 2, c: 3});

        f();

        The jQuery UI suite uses this technique a lot -- optionally pass in a settings
        initialization object on first run, pass in a setting name and get back the
        current value, pass in a setting name and a new value to set it. The main
        jQuery framework also uses this technique a lot.

        I like the idea of JSLint knowing that a function was called with a different
        number of arguments than it accepts or with arguments that don't match the
        definition, but because function overloading is a standard API development
        technique, I can see it easily becoming more distracting than helpful. If it
        could also parse my docs and validate usages match my intent ... and drive my
        car and clean my kitchen and read my mind. :D It seems a carefully built set
        of unit tests that run on each commit better accounts for potential mistakes in
        this arena.

        Rob

        ________________________________
        > Don't forget that it's possible to access the non-named parameters using
        > the "arguments" object.
        >
        > Thanks, I forgot that.

        > I suppose if the function does not access the arguments object, then
        > throwing a warning or error in that case might be nice.
        >
        > A warning is enough, and would help locating weird calls.

        > In any case, if the function is called with more arguments than it expects,
        > it simply ignores the excess. I'm not sure why that would cause a bug in the
        > plugin.
        >
        > The routine was called with arguments (url, login, password, callback).
        And the routine was declared with (url, server, callback), with server =
        {login, password}
        So 'password' was used instead of 'callback'.
        It seems that a refactoring gone wrong..

        JC
      • pauanyu
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 12, 2010
          Just one question... how is that function any different from this one?

          var f = function (a, b) {
          // ...
          };

          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Rob Richardson <erobrich@...> wrote:

          > This is totally valid (albeit confusing):
          >
          > var f = function () {
          > // FRAGILE: Error check arguments.length and resulting vars for presence of
          > value before using
          > var a = arguments[0];
          > var b = arguments[1];
          >
          > A function like this could correctly be called in all these cases:
          >
          > f(1,2,3,4,5);
          >
          > f(1,2,3);
          >
          > f({a: 1, b: 2, c: 3});
          >
          > f();
          >
          > The jQuery UI suite uses this technique a lot -- optionally pass in a settings
          > initialization object on first run, pass in a setting name and get back the
          > current value, pass in a setting name and a new value to set it. The main
          > jQuery framework also uses this technique a lot.
          >
          > I like the idea of JSLint knowing that a function was called with a different
          > number of arguments than it accepts or with arguments that don't match the
          > definition, but because function overloading is a standard API development
          > technique, I can see it easily becoming more distracting than helpful. If it
          > could also parse my docs and validate usages match my intent ... and drive my
          > car and clean my kitchen and read my mind. :D It seems a carefully built set
          > of unit tests that run on each commit better accounts for potential mistakes in
          > this arena.
          >
          > Rob
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Rob Richardson
          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 13, 2010
            Imagine a function whose body looked like so:

            var f = function () {
            var option = {}; // Options stored in a stateful mechanism

            if ( arguments.length === 2 && typeof(arguments[0]) === 'string' ) {
            // Called as f("setting",value);
            option[arguments[0]] = arguments[1];
            return;
            }

            if ( arguments.length === 1 && typeof(arguments[0]) === 'string' ) {
            // Called as f("setting");
            return option[arguments[0]];
            }

            if ( arguments.length === 0 ) {
            // Called as f();
            option.init();
            return;
            }

            // Other implementations here

            throw {
            message: "You called this function incorrectly",
            arguments: arguments

            Rob

            ________________________________
            Just one question... how is that function any different from this one?

            var f = function (a, b) {
            // ...
            };

            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Rob Richardson <erobrich@...> wrote:

            > This is totally valid (albeit confusing):
            >
            > var f = function () {
            > // FRAGILE: Error check arguments.length and resulting vars for presence of

            > value before using
            > var a = arguments[0];
            > var b = arguments[1];
            >
            > A function like this could correctly be called in all these cases:
            >
            > f(1,2,3,4,5);
            >
            > f(1,2,3);
            >
            > f({a: 1, b: 2, c: 3});
            >
            > f();
            >
            > The jQuery UI suite uses this technique a lot -- optionally pass in a settings

            > initialization object on first run, pass in a setting name and get back the
            > current value, pass in a setting name and a new value to set it. The main
            > jQuery framework also uses this technique a lot.
            >
            > I like the idea of JSLint knowing that a function was called with a different
            > number of arguments than it accepts or with arguments that don't match the
            > definition, but because function overloading is a standard API development
            > technique, I can see it easily becoming more distracting than helpful. If it
            > could also parse my docs and validate usages match my intent ... and drive my
            > car and clean my kitchen and read my mind. :D It seems a carefully built set

            > of unit tests that run on each commit better accounts for potential mistakes in
            >
            > this arena.
            >
            > Rob
            >

            > ________________________________

          • pauanyu
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 14, 2010
              Yeah, I get the idea. But couldn't that function be written like this, with the same effect?

              var f = function (key, value) {
              var option = {}; // Options stored in a stateful mechanism

              if (arguments.length === 2 && typeof key === 'string') {
              // Called as f("setting", value);
              option[key] = value;
              return;
              }

              if (arguments.length === 1 && typeof key === 'string') {
              // Called as f("setting");
              return option[key];
              }

              if (arguments.length === 0) {
              // Called as f();
              option.init();
              return;
              }

            • Rob Richardson
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 16, 2010
                Yes, until one of the implementations looked like this:

                if (arguments.length === 1 && typeof(arguments[0]) === 'object') {
                var arg = arguments[0]; // TODO: move var definition to the top
                if (arg.length && arg.length > 0) {
                // ASSUME: Array
                for ( var i = 0; i < arg.length; i++ ) {
                option.arrayelem[i] = arg[i];
                }
                } else {
                // ASSUME: Object
                for ( var prop in arg ) {
                if ( arg.hasOwnProperty(prop) ) {
                option[prop] = arg[prop];
                return;
                }

                ... yeah, I'll grant you could swap this to be:

                var arg = key;

                But in this case you couldn't:

                if (arguments.length > 2) {
                // ASSUME: they passed in the array as items instead of as an array
                var arg = Array.prototype.slice.call(arguments); // TODO: move var
                definition to the top
                for ( var i = 0; i < arg.length; i++ ) {
                option.arrayelem[i] = arg[i];

                The dilemma is that because the contract for this function is so diverse in
                number and type of arguments passed, sometimes it's just easier to define the
                function with no input parameters and use the arguments (fake) array to parse
                out what you're trying to do instead. Because the arguments array is always
                available, I can't just look at the function definition and the caller and
                positively identify you called me in a way I didn't expect. And because
                different implementations may use more or less arguments in the function, I
                can't from a static analysis point of view know that you called me with too many
                or too few arguments or the incorrect data type(s) to match the implementation
                you were looking for. ... or rather if you figure out a good way to do it, I'll
                sign up. Thus far, I've only been able to prove this by unit test.

                Rob