Re:document.write messages

  • Marc Draco
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 11, 2010
      document.write() is evil because it affects the document as it's been
      rendered. There are some (very,very few) instances when you might need
      to do this.

      I have used it recently to change a form on the client side depending on
      whether or not Javascript was active, like so:

      <script type="text/javascript">
      document.writeln("<input id='contactFormSend' disabled='disabled'
      value='Send Request' type='submit' />");
      </script>

      <noscript>
      <input value="Send Request" type="submit" />
      </noscript>

      This isn't something that can easily be done on the server and allows
      the receiving code to see if Javascript was active when the form was
      sent - at least, when the page was loaded. The server uses this to
      determine the likelihood that the form has had minimal validation or
      none at all and warn the user.

      Using document.write or document.writeln as a debugging measure is
      asking for trouble. Until recently (hang my head in shame) I relied on
      Alert() or some concoction of DIVs. <shudders>

      A far better solution is Firefox with the Firebug extension. Firebug can
      write to a special console area:

      console.log(var1, var2, object, ...);

      and is very, very good at it too. You can even examine events objects
      (for example) just by passing them like this:

      function eventHandler(e)
      {
      console.log(e);
      //...
      }

      Firebug allows you to decompose the entire event, method by property in
      the console window which can be very handy indeed.
    • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 11, 2010
        document.write is essential when executing JavaScript where a DOM is not available, such as all possible methods of interpretation outside for a webpage in a conforming user-agent. Other than those conditions I don't see why this method should ever be used.

        Austin Cheney
        http://prettydiff.com/