Re: Enhancement Request: Identifier length restriction

  • abyssoft@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 2, 2010
      Just noticed that the highlighted is partially supported at least at the
      global level. But does not catch nested vars.
      So having the Identifier length limits would be good to hunt for those
      left in code by peers.

      --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "abyssoft@..." <abyssoft@...> wrote:

      > Reasoning
      >
      > Identifiers of only 1 or 2 Characters can lead to errors in thought
      and poor readability of code. I have a preference for identifiers that
      consist of 3 or more characters and they are rarely that short.

      > An alternate enhancement is for support of single and double letter
      identifiers when listed in /*global*/.

    • pauanyu
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 3, 2010
        What about this (very) common construct:

        for (var i = 0; i < foo.length; i += 1) {}

        I agree that very short identifiers are generally a bad idea, but I also think there are a couple exceptions (like the above).

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2010
          That is why I would like it as a switch/option not a requirement.

          I would write

          for (var i = 0; i < foo.length; i += 1) {}

          as

          var fooIndex;
          for (fooIndex = foo.length -1 ; fooIndex + 1 ; fooIndex -= 1) {
          //Loop Content even if only a one liner.
          }

          I never declare vars in loops, or in the setup of a loop.

          > What about this (very) common construct:
          >
          > for (var i = 0; i < foo.length; i += 1) {}
          >
          > I agree that very short identifiers are generally a bad idea, but I also think there are a couple exceptions (like the above).
          >
          > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "abyssoft@" <abyssoft@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Reasoning
          > >
          > > Identifiers of only 1 or 2 Characters can lead to errors in thought and poor readability of code. I have a preference for identifiers that consist of 3 or more characters and they are rarely that short.
          > >
          > > An alternate enhancement is for support of single and double letter identifiers when listed in /*global*/.

        • Michael Mikowski
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 4, 2010
            Hi All:

            On a bit of a tangent, there are no sigils in javascript, so therefore we use RPN to indicate data types. So my implementation would look something like this:

            var
            ary_foo = [ 'bing','bang','boom'],
            idx_foo
            ;

            for ( idx_foo = 0; idx_foo < ary_foo.length; idx_foo++ ){ }

            We have a comprehensive list of prefixes we currently use, if anyone is interested.

            Feedback and suggestions are welcome :)

            Cheers, Mike

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
              As long as it's an optional switch, I'm fine with that. I can see why that would help some people, especially in a team.

              --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "abyssoft@..." <abyssoft@...> wrote:

              > That is why I would like it as a switch/option not a requirement.
              >
              > I would write
              >
              > for (var i = 0; i < foo.length; i += 1) {}
              >
              > as
              >
              > var fooIndex;
              > for (fooIndex = foo.length -1 ; fooIndex + 1 ; fooIndex -= 1) {
              > //Loop Content even if only a one liner.
              > }
              >
              > I never declare vars in loops, or in the setup of a loop.
              >
              > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "pauanyu" <pcxunlimited@> wrote:
              > >

              > > What about this (very) common construct:
              > >
              > > for (var i = 0; i < foo.length; i += 1) {}
              > >
              > > I agree that very short identifiers are generally a bad idea, but I also think there are a couple exceptions (like the above).
              > >
              > > --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "abyssoft@" <abyssoft@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Reasoning
              > > >
              > > > Identifiers of only 1 or 2 Characters can lead to errors in thought and poor readability of code. I have a preference for identifiers that consist of 3 or more characters and they are rarely that short.
              > > >
              > > > An alternate enhancement is for support of single and double letter identifiers when listed in /*global*/.

            • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
                I do not see the value in a minimal length requirement for identifiers even if that requirement is optional. What problems does this actually prevent? JSLint already catches undeclared variables and so forth regardless of the length of such. Really, what this looks like to me an abstract arbitrary name replaced by a longer name that is just as much abstract and arbitrary. In my opinion this fix merely sounds like an attempt to make code for reader friendly, which is a false expectation from such a requirement as expanding length by no means implies the longer length identifier is any more relevant a name.

                Austin Cheney
                http://prettydiff.com/
              • abyssoft@ymail.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 5, 2010
                  Austin,

                  Your reply looked rather vitriolic to my eyes. If it is optional why such disdain?

                  For me I have found that with short identifiers in a long procedure I am quite prone to accidental reuse of them in a manner that introduces bugs. By forcing myself to use longer identifiers I can also be more assured that I have not left in debug code, as that is the only time I would wish to use short identifiers. Under the use of these conditions I would find it of great benefit.

                  As for abstract arbitrary names length, and casing can help. Personally I always attempt to make it as clear as possible the purpose of the identifier in it name. On the rare occasion this proves difficult I make sure to add documentation.

                  For me personally it is exceedingly annoying to encounter code that has nothing but 1 to 2 char identifiers and no or poor documentation. I always wish to leave code in a better designed and documented state then when I first encountered it so that those who come after me, including myself at a later point, have an easier time modifying/correcting/adding.

                  --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC" <austin.cheney@...> wrote:

                  > I do not see the value in a minimal length requirement for identifiers even if that requirement is optional. What problems does this actually prevent? JSLint already catches undeclared variables and so forth regardless of the length of such. Really, what this looks like to me an abstract arbitrary name replaced by a longer name that is just as much abstract and arbitrary. In my opinion this fix merely sounds like an attempt to make code for reader friendly, which is a false expectation from such a requirement as expanding length by no means implies the longer length identifier is any more relevant a name.
                  >
                  > Austin Cheney
                  > http://prettydiff.com/

                • Marc Draco
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 6, 2010
                    Austin may be vitriolic, but he has a point.

                    Code Complete by Steve McConnell is my bible and it has some interesting
                    things to say on single-character identifiers.

                    Personally, I only ever use single-character vars in short loops. For a
                    single iterator, I tend to use "n" (which betrays my beginnings in an
                    early BASIC); and I would generally eschew i, j, k for nested loops
                    unless there's a very good reason - i and j are so easy to confuse due
                    to "confirmation bias".

                    x & y (and z) are a special case also - these are handy for short loop
                    iterations when co-ordinate systems are in use.

                    Where speed isn't paramount, I've found a short object can be very
                    helpful. Using X and Y as an example, let's say I need two versions of
                    each, I might create two literal, local objects like this:

                    var old = {};
                    var cur = {};

                    and initialise some variables

                    old.x = 0;
                    old.y = 0;
                    cur.x = old.x +10;
                    cur.y = old.x +10;

                    Any operations could conceivably use "with" on these but that has
                    problems all of its own. Personally I never use it.

                    This is far clearer than using very long names, is very easy to type and
                    less error prone because we're grouping related variables. Of course,
                    your mileage may vary.
                  • Michael Mikowski
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 6, 2010
                      Sure James. Cut and paste from our standards document:

                      All arguments to a function have a master prefix, 'arg_'.

                      Prefixes for compound variable types

                      prefix
                      variable type (vtype)
                      obj_ full object with methods
                      hash_ object as associative array
                      ary_ array
                      elem[type]_ dom element object; type is optional

                      $
                      jquery object

                      Prefixes for scalar variable type
                      prefix
                      scalar type (stype)
                      count_ Integer counter
                      idx_ Integer loop or array index
                      idint_ Integer interval id
                      idto_ Integer timout id
                      int_
                      Integer, general

                      ms_ Integer millisecond
                      num_
                      floating point number, general

                      px_ Integer pixel units
                      str_ string, general

                      sw_ boolean switch (true or false)
                      Examples:

                      A single scalar might be px_screen_x.

                      If the variable is compound then the prefixes should be strung together, e.g. ary_px_screen or hash_px_screen.

                      var fnRenderScreen = function ( arg_hash_px_screen ){...};

                      If a function takes multiple named arguments, we use a single input hash called arg_hash_spec, e.g:

                      var fnRenderScreen = function ( arg_hash_spec ){...};

                      called like so:

                      ret = fnRenderScreen({ sw_overlay : true, px_left : 10, px_top: 250, px_width: 150, px_height: 150 });

                      Hope that helps :)

                      Cheers, Mike

                      ________________________________
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 6, 2010
                        > For me personally it is exceedingly annoying to encounter code that
                        > has nothing but 1 to 2 char identifiers and no or poor documentation.

                        Beautify the code using a JSLint white space compatible algorithm. Then
                        perform the following replacements:

                        For functions:
                        - Manually change the name of the function where it is declared
                        - Find and replace on the following after ensure that each of the
                        following is not in quotes:
                        + space + variable name + left paren
                        ex: " a("
                        + space + variable name + comma
                        ex: " a,"
                        + space + variable name + right paren
                        ex: " a)"
                        + space + variable name + right square brace
                        ex: " a]"
                        + space + variable name + right curly brace
                        ex: " a}"

                        For arrays:
                        - Same as above except find and replace on a left square brace
                        instead of opening paren

                        For object literals
                        - Same as above except find and replace on a left curly brace instead
                        of opening paren

                        For value literals (strings and numbers)
                        - Same as above except find and replace on a space, instead of an
                        opening paren

                        You could write a JS application to do all of this for you. This would
                        be the best bet because you are not going to influence how other people
                        write code their own code. The only code that you can effectively
                        influence is the code under your own responsibility.

                        Austin Cheney
                        http://prettydiff.com/