Re: [jslint] Does JSLint parse DOM functions?

  • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 12, 2010
      paulur10,

      1) If you attempting to access a window object you are not using the DOM. The DOM is based upon the document object as the tree root.

      2) There exists no such thing, at least in accordance with standards, as document.documentElement. Instead try
      document.getElementById("theIDvaluehere").innerHTML = "your string to output here";

      Austin
      http://prettydiff.com/
    • Aseem Kishore
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 12, 2010
        > 2) There exists no such thing, at least in accordance with standards, as
        document.documentElement. Instead try
        document.getElementById("theIDvaluehere").innerHTML = "your string to output
        here";

        ???

        It's part of DOM Level 2.

        https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/document.documentElement

        <https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/document.documentElement>Aseem

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 13, 2010
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "paulur10" <paulur@...> wrote:

          > I tried to use the parse() function of JSLint to parse the following three pieces of JavaScript code:
          > 1. function(b, c){var a = b + c; return a; }
          > 2. window.addEventListener('click', click_hanlder, true);
          > 3. document.documentElement.innerHTML;
          >
          > The outputs are the following:
          > 1. returns a correct tree.
          > 2. returns a tree with only one node of "window".
          > 3. crashes the browser.
          >
          > I'm wondering whether JSLint doesn't support DOM function.

          JSLint's parse function was not intended to be used out of context, and it does not produce complete parse trees. You would do better to start with javascript.crockford.com/tdop/
        • pauanyu
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 13, 2010
            1) The "window" object is usually implemented as the DOM defaultView:

            https://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM:document.defaultView

            In addition, although the "window" object itself may not be codified in the spec, it implements the EventTarget interface, and the addEventListener method IS part of the DOM spec.

            2) document.documentElement is a part of the DOM Core Level 2, as Aseem Kishore pointed out.