JavaScript in HTA applications

  • jpj116
    Message 1 of 7 , Jun 10, 2010
      At work I use JavaScript most of the time to create and maintain HTA applications on Windows. HTA are html files with an .hta extension and the addition of an <HTA:APPLICATION ... /> tag within the head element. Written in html/css/js, HTA behave as native applications; for example, they have read/write access to the file system.

      JSLint does not recognize the HTA:APPLICATION tag and quits. I am used to delete or comment out the HTA tag, but can JSLint be made to accept it? Or continue with a security warning instead of aborting?

      HTA are documented in MSDN.
    • jpj116
      Message 2 of 7 , Jun 24, 2010
        Two weeks later, I suspect but I am not sure:
        Am I the only person who uses JavaScript in HTA?
        Does nobody jslint HTA?

        Can JSLint be modified to accept HTA scripts or is the workaround (delete or comment out the HTA tag) recommended?

        Joachim

        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "jpj116" <jpj116@...> wrote:

        > At work I use JavaScript most of the time to create and maintain HTA applications on Windows. HTA are html files with an .hta extension and the addition of an <HTA:APPLICATION ... /> tag within the head element. Written in html/css/js, HTA behave as native applications; for example, they have read/write access to the file system.
        >
        > JSLint does not recognize the HTA:APPLICATION tag and quits. I am used to delete or comment out the HTA tag, but can JSLint be made to accept it? Or continue with a security warning instead of aborting?
        >
        > HTA are documented in MSDN.

      • Tzvika
        Message 3 of 7 , Jun 24, 2010
          Joachim
          a. You are not the only one. I do it as well.
          b. I think you are right. This option should be under "*Assume Windows* "
          option.

          --
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1
        • Rob Richardson
          Message 4 of 7 , Jun 24, 2010
            Or move your javascript to external files, jslint those, and leave your markup and tools alone.

            ________________________________
            Two weeks later, I suspect but I am not sure:
            Am I the only person who uses JavaScript in HTA?
            Does nobody jslint HTA?

            Can JSLint be modified to accept HTA scripts or is the workaround (delete or comment out the HTA tag) recommended?

            Joachim

            --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "jpj116" <jpj116@...> wrote:

            > At work I use JavaScript most of the time to create and maintain HTA applications on Windows. HTA are html files with an .hta extension and the addition of an <HTA:APPLICATION ... /> tag within the head element. Written in html/css/js, HTA behave as native applications; for example, they have read/write access to the file system.
            >
            > JSLint does not recognize the HTA:APPLICATION tag and quits. I am used to delete or comment out the HTA tag, but can JSLint be made to accept it? Or continue with a security warning instead of aborting?
            >
            > HTA are documented in MSDN.

          • James Friedman
            Message 5 of 7 , Jun 25, 2010
              My own world:
                Context: I use JavaScript/HTA very frequently.  HTA is wonderful !!!
                Method: Extract the JavaScript and submit that only to JSLint.

              --
              Television and the media culture have replaced thoughtfulness with
              Message 6 of 7 , Jun 27, 2010
                JSLint now tolerates <hta:application ...> in the <head> of HTML documents.
              • jpj116
                Message 7 of 7 , Jun 29, 2010
                  Thank you. I appreciate the HTA support.

                  Joachim