Re: Web and rhino differences

  • santini.alberto
    Message 1 of 7 , May 19, 2010
      It seems there is a difference if I use, for instance, FireFox (3.6.3) on Windows XP: the web version catches correctly the two errors.

      In my first post I used Firefox 3.6.3 on Ubuntu 10.04.

      Locally on Windows or Linux, using the rhino approach, I get "only" the error "Missing "use strict" statement.".

      The options are the same: good parts enabled.

      Any idea or suggestion?

      Regards,
      Alberto
      Message 2 of 7 , May 19, 2010
        --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, "santini.alberto" <albertosantini@...> wrote:

        > It seems there is a difference if I use, for instance, FireFox (3.6.3) on Windows XP: the web version catches correctly the two errors.
        >
        > In my first post I used Firefox 3.6.3 on Ubuntu 10.04.
        >
        > Locally on Windows or Linux, using the rhino approach, I get "only" the error "Missing "use strict" statement.".
        >
        > The options are the same: good parts enabled.
        >
        > Any idea or suggestion?

        It would seem that there is a bug in Rhino.
      • santini.alberto
        Message 3 of 7 , May 19, 2010

          > It would seem that there is a bug in Rhino.

          On Windows I used "cscript" executable and the output is equals to rhino one.

          Same bug? Possible but with low probability.

          Regards,
          Alberto
        • santini.alberto
          Message 4 of 7 , May 21, 2010

            > It would seem that there is a bug in Rhino.

            I jslinted the snippet with V8 [1]: it reports only "use strict" error.

            No idea because it doesn't report also "unused variable" error.

            Regards,
            Alberto

            [1] http://groups.google.com/group/nodejs/t/aa30e1b6f4f6314f
          • santini.alberto
            Message 5 of 7 , May 30, 2010

              > It would seem that there is a bug in Rhino.

              I added in my rhino script the following code:

              data = JSLINT.data();
              if (data.unused) {
              for (i = 0; i < data.unused.length; i += 1) {
              print(filename + ':' + data.unused[i].line + ': ' +
              'Unused variable \'' + data.unused[i].name + '\'.');

              It is quite similar to the code you found in the report function.
              Now the unused variables are printed.

              I think the web version print the html created by the report function.
              This is the difference between rhino and web jslint.

              Maybe a call of the warning function would be better, adding an item in errors array, when an unused variable is detected.

              Another approach may be adding a warning array: JSLINT.warnings.

              Regards,
              Alberto