Re: [jslint] Vendor extensions in pseudoclasses

  • Noah Sussman
    Message 1 of 19 , Apr 27, 2010
      On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Rob Richardson <erobrich@...> wrote:
      > http://validator. w3.org/ does the HTML,
      > http://jigsaw. w3.org/css- validator/ does the CSS,
      > though both are best as online tools and don't really support off-line without linux.

      I'm surprised to hear you say that these only run on linux, as I am
      able to do command-line validation of CSS and HTML on Windows and Mac
      as well.

      Great instructions on setting up the w3 CSS validator for use on the
      command line, are to be found in the EmacsWiki:
      http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FlymakeCSS

      And Tidy is an excellent command-line tool for HTML validation. It's
      included with Cygwin, Macports or Fink. Tidy is technically a linter,
      not a validator, but in practice it catches all the issues that the w3
      validation service does.
      http://www.w3.org/People/Raggett/tidy/

      And if you really want true SGML validation, just like the w3
      validation service, there is onsgmls. It's also included with Cygwin,
      Macports and Fink; but you'd also need to grab the w3's DTD library (
      http://validator.w3.org/sgml-lib.tar.gz ) and then learn how to invoke
      the tool properly. IMO Tidy is much easier to use and onsgmls doesn't
      provide any extra value, but if you really want to use onsgmls, these
      links should get you started in the right direction:
      http://onemorebug.com/blog/2007/10/28/html-validation/
      http://snipplr.com/view/4970/validate-xhtml-with-tidy-andor-openjade-just-like-the-ff-extension/

      I hope this information is helpful to others, and that I've not
      strayed too far off-topic.

      --
      Noah Sussman
      Software Historian

      A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds
             -- Emerson
    • Rob Richardson
      Message 2 of 19 , May 1 10:30 AM
        JSLint reports that anonymous functions such as this:

        var f = function(args) {
        // body
        }

        would be better like this:

        var f = function (args) {
        // body
        }

        Why is the space between 'function' and '(' preferable?

        Rob

        Message 3 of 19 , May 1 12:18 PM
          --- In jslint_com@yahoogroups.com, Rob Richardson <erobrich@...> wrote:

          > JSLint reports that anonymous functions such as this:
          >
          > var f = function(args) {
          > // body
          > }
          >
          > would be better like this:
          >
          > var f = function (args) {
          > // body
          > }
          >
          > Why is the space between 'function' and '(' preferable?

          It is for readability. It makes it clearer that you are creating a function and not calling a function.

          Also, you forgot the semicolon.
        • Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC
          Message 4 of 19 , May 2 2:56 PM
            That is not an anonymous function.

            The follow two are identical.

            var f = function () {
            // body
            };

            function f () {
            // body
            }

            In both cases you are assigning a function to a named variable in a given namespace. The biggest difference is the semicolon at the end of the first example, but for your consideration the difference is whether the namespace assignment is implicit to a command or explicitly stated. An anonymous function is a function not assigned to a name. This is an example of an anonymous function:

            errorp.sort(function (a, b) {
            return a - b;
            });

            Austin

            > > JSLint reports that anonymous functions such as this:
            > >
            > > var f = function(args) {
            > > // body
            > > }
            > >
            > > would be better like this:
            > >
            > > var f = function (args) {
            > > // body
            > > }
            > >
            > > Why is the space between 'function' and '(' preferable?
            >
            > It is for readability. It makes it clearer that you are creating a function and not calling a function.
            >
            > Also, you forgot the semicolon.

          • Michael Lorton
            Message 5 of 19 , May 2 3:07 PM
              Identical? Have you ever heard the expression "not always right, but never in doubt"?

              What should the following show?

              var f = function () {
              };

              function g() {
              }
              alert(f.name == g.name);

              By any ordinary sense "identical", you'd think it would pop-up "true", but lo, f.name is undefined but g.name is "g".

              The function pointed to by f is anonymous in the sense that it does not know its own name, although other functions may have a name for it (indeed, it any function does not appear somewhere in the namespace, it's unreferenced and so, can never be called and will be cleaned up by the GC.

              M.

              ________________________________

              > > JSLint reports that anonymous functions such as this:
              > >
              > > var f = function(args) {
              > > // body
              > > }
              > >
              > > would be better like this:
              > >
              > > var f = function (args) {
              > > // body
              > > }
              > >
              > > Why is the space between 'function' and '(' preferable?
              >
              > It is for readability. It makes it clearer that you are creating a function and not calling a function.
              >
              > Also, you forgot the semicolon.

            • Marcel Duran
              Message 6 of 19 , May 2 5:32 PM
                On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 2:56 PM, Cheney, Edward A SSG RES USAR USARC <
                austin.cheney@...> wrote:

                > That is not an anonymous function.
                >
                > The follow two are identical.
                >
                > var f = function () {
                > // body
                > };
                >
                > function f () {
                > // body
                > }
                >
                > They are not identical. This is a function declaration vs function
                expression. Consider the following:

                f();
                function f () {}

                This works because function declarations are hoisted to the top of the
                containing scope, changing this example to function expression:

                f();
                var f = function () {};

                This will cause an error (line 1), because the function isn't available in
                the variable f (line 2) which is not executed.

                By readability, I think Doug means:

                either
                var f = function (args) {};
                or
                function f (args) {}

                are clearly creating a function f

                where

                f('foobar');

                is clearly calling f.

                *note the space when creating f and no space when calling f

                Marcel

              • Michael Mikowski
                Message 7 of 19 , May 2 11:06 PM
                  $0.02:

                  First, "the good parts" advocates the following form, as it illustrates the true nature of functions:

                  1. var fnOnClick = function (){ ... };

                  Others advocate you should always name your functions for the benefit of stack traces. I think this is what Mr. Lorton's test code illustrates:

                  2. function fnOnClick (){ ... }

                  One can combine the two, but its almost certainly bad practice because keeping two names in sync is invites mismatch errors:

                  3. var fnOnClick = function fnOnClick (){ ... };

                  Method (1) works fine with stack traces in the most current versions of Firebug, so appears to be the best solution for my purposes. IIRC, that was not the case until recently.

                  Cheers, Mike

                  ________________________________

                  ____________ _________ _________ __

                  Message 8 of 19 , May 3 9:06 AM
                    I've typically used the keyword 'function' to denote that I'm creating a function. In quick testing, I find no way to call a function with the keyword 'function' present ... short of creating a Function.doit = function () {... which just seems silly, and no way to create a function called 'function' without similar pain. Is there a way to invoke a function with the 'function' keyword present? What's an (albeit likely horrid) example where one could get confused between creation and invocation due to similar syntax?

                    Rob

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 19 , May 3 9:42 AM
                      On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM, Rob Richardson <erobrich@...> wrote:

                      >Is there a way to invoke a function with the 'function' keyword present?

                      (function (foo) {
                      return foo;
                      })('bar');

                      Message 10 of 19 , May 3 3:42 PM
                        You're creating it with 'function' then invoking it right away. Is there a similar way to use the keyword 'function' to call a previously defined function? If not, it seems sufficient to note the keyword 'function' will define a function, and it's absence will invoke it. The presence or absence of a space is helpful, but the convention is recent and seems somewhat contrived. Reading code of those who don't subscribe to it will lead to misunderstanding. It seems the presence of the word 'function' is a much better identifier of the purpose of the statement than the presence of a space before the parens.

                        Rob

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 19 , May 3 9:23 PM
                          Michael,

                          Your example is partially accurate, but consider the following:

                          var f = function () {};
                          function g () {}

                          if (typeof(f) === typeof(g)) {
                          alert(typeof(f) + "\n" + f + "\n" + g);
                          }

                          You are correct in that a name property is supplied to the second of these two cases. But the types are identical and variable f has an anonymous function assigned to it. Since f is a named variable with a function as its value it is a function that is not anonymous. JavaScript is a lambda language of downward inheritance that allows accidental creation of global variables. With regard to complex instances of inheritance where closures are used across the variance namespace scopes you have to be sure where your variables are defined to prevent collisions, especially with consideration for reuse. The first convention forces strict awareness of variable declaration, because the function must be declared before it can be executed. The second convention supplies no such awareness, which is potentially problematic with regards to instantiation and invocation as closure in complex logic prior described. Fortunately, JSLint is smart enough to throw an error when a function is used before it is declared. Since the two conventions are identical in representation I would suggest only using the one that is not open to abuse from flawed and sloppy programming.

                          Austin